When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 june bike pictures

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tango021

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if anybody can help me to identify the bicycle shown on these different pictures taken during the Normandy landing, in the small town of Hermanville-sur-Mer (Sword beach). The one without the mud guard looks like a bsa folding bike but the other one ? Thanks for your help!

normandie_1944_then_now_103.jpg

Capture3.JPG

sword_beach_la_breche_convoi.jpg

Capture13.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture9.JPG

sword_beach_la_breche_avre_bulldog.jpg

Capture2.JPG

Hi, Tango021

As you suggest, the bike with no mudguard is a BSA folding bicycle, unusually, with the toolkit still attached to the saddle. The rider is wearing a Commando battle jerkin, and the commandos certainly used these BSA's on D Day.

The bikes with mudguards, probably an Infantry MkV (if one brake-lever for the front, fitted with a rear coaster-brake), or MkV* (if two brake-levers).. These were a standard pattern, with various makes (Phillips, BSA etc.)

The Churchill IV AVRE "Bulldog" in the last photo is fitted with a Petard mortar, and is T68024B of 77th Assault Squadron, 5th Assault Regiment, 79th Armoured Division. (Difficult, there were at least three Churchills called Bulldog on the landings, but you can just see the 3B turret marking of this particular one).

The jeep M4923763 in the first photo is a Willys MB, supplied new to the British as part of contract Supply Mechanical 2275.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
As described by Adrian above, the other bike is a Standard Brit Army MkV or MkV*

Here's my 1944 BSA Made MkV* (two lever brakes) Ser# T136102
Note the saddle is a modern BROOKS replacement part as I ride this bike regularly

BSAMkV.jpg

@ Mercian et Johan,
Thanks for all the technical informations about the MKV, very interesting!
@ Partsguy,
Glad you like it. I found many places in Normandy that were immortalised by allied photographs in 1944. It is incredible to see that hardly nothing has changed in seventy years.

I have had a drink right at this location many times its just down the street from my friends house, he has an all original BSA folding bike found just near here, I will be there again in June.

Back