When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60-61 Schwinn Varsity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bikerider007

Finally riding a big boys bike
Do these have good value if in decent shape. I see Continentals are coveted, same for Varsity ? These are the two suicide shifters years right?

I have a 1960 Continental and would certainly buy a 1960/61 Varsity if the price was right but I am not actively looking for one. In some ways the 4 speed freewheel on the Varsity is even more odd between the 2 bikes. I wouldn't do it as an investment or plan on retiring from buying and selling one. Roger

[QUOTE="rhenning, post: 575919, member: 6272" I wouldn't do it as an investment or plan on retiring from buying and selling one. Roger[/QUOTE]

There goes my retirement plan!

Bikerider007, got any pics?

Not sure how far into 1961 these "suicide shifter" bikes go but yes, suicide shifters.

Do these have good value if in decent shape. I see Continentals are coveted, same for Varsity ? These are the two suicide shifters years right?

BTW, we have a new Schwinn Lightweight forum here and were just discussing these, the Continental anyway. Check it out and bring pics! Our panel of experts will be right on it.

I had to come to Sd and there is one, asking is $300. I have not gone to look at but condition appears ok in pics. Is either 60 or 61. Input?

Not looking to retire just would like to know I am not throwing money out. I ride so I will get use out of it. I would not offer full.

Before I would spend $300 on one I would have to verify that everything is correct. But that's just me. Here is a second half 1961 10 speed that sold recently for $362. Rear derailleur is not correct but looks pretty much unmolested. So there are a few that will fork out some bucks for these early Varsity's.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=191863329822

s-l1600.jpg

Here is another late 61 that fetched some good money, $430.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=291654276251

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
These are cool but I dont think I am going to make it to this one as I head out tomorrow. Sounds like a decent deal can be made. It's listed as 58" 8 speed all original, and he said he still has.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/5507197785.html
Ive inquired and asked for pics of this bike quite a few times...never got a reply. Im not driving an hour to look at a bike when someone cant take a minute to reply, or snap a couple pics of what they're selling. "This is the best photo I have" does not cut it for me when every phone on the planet takes pictures. A little exaggerated on the prices of the derailers also...

Still a very cool bike, and id buy it if the guy would make an effort...

Ive inquired and asked for pics of this bike quite a few times...never got a reply. Im not driving an hour to look at a bike when someone cant take a minute to reply, or snap a couple pics of what they're selling. "This is the best photo I have" does not cut it for me when every phone on the planet takes pictures. A little exaggerated on the prices of the derailers also...

Still a very cool bike, and id buy it if the guy would make an effort...

Yea it's odd people do that, or post bikes that are filthy and ask a ton.

I probably would have went to look at but have committed a decent amount to Paramount wood wheels with high flange hubs! So excited about getting home and picking those up that this was not a priority.

Back