When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60ish Schwinn Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Real1

Finally riding a big boys bike
The well-fed Caucasian kid is me @7. This appears to be a 60ish Schwinn. Probably not a hand-me-down. That's a summer pic, with the obligatory 'crew-cut' I was required to have every summer (until I was old enough to rebel, of course). This is the ONLY pic of this bike and most likely a birthday present that summer. Probably nothing special, but I'd like to know at least what model it was if possible. I had a Schwinn until sixth grade. I don't remember another bike being bought...not sure this very bike could have lasted me until six grade.....some four yrs later? Doesn't look big enough to me......

Kevin

Image (3).jpg

The well-fed Caucasian kid is me @7. This appears to be a 60ish Schwinn. Probably not a hand-me-down. That's a summer pic, with the obligatory 'crew-cut' I was required to have every summer (until I was old enough to rebel, of course). This is the ONLY pic of this bike and most likely a birthday present that summer. Probably nothing special, but I'd like to know at least what model it was if possible. I had a Schwinn until sixth grade. I don't remember another bike being bought...not sure this very bike could have lasted me until six grade.....some four yrs later? Doesn't look big enough to me......

Kevin

View attachment 1943544
I think I read Tornado on the guard

I was thinking 59 with those pin stripes. This 1960 catalog photo doesn't help much, but it looks like it could be those 3 pins on the fork, same as in 1959.

1959_11.jpg

1960_14.jpeg

Sure looks like the basic Tornado. My dad would never buy used....so it's possible it was a 1959 Xmas present if it comes down to it. I honestly don't remember what time of yr it was gifted. I always bought bikes for my kids @Xmas....so maybe it was subliminally a trend in my birth family.

Kevin

The early 1958 Tornado was a supposedly a late 1957 release and the Tornado was a straight bar until the 1960 models came out with the twin bar. It looks like that might be a 1960-61 twin bar.

Slick's photo

photo1361smaller-1-jpg.jpg

OK then, we can clearly see the two bars even in the old pic. So if 1960 Tornado is correct, had to be a summer BD present. I do remember my dad giving me a push and I went straight into a mult-flora (heavy thorns) hedge. Nobody had mentioned the reverse brake mechanism to me. That spooked me for a while.....that's all I remember.

In the pic (you can't see), I'm circling around a pool.....so must have got my courage back.

Great pic of a real Tornado of that period, thanks!

Kevin

Back