When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60's - 70's BSA need help to date

-

Bobrowe

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just picked this up today at an estate sale. I paid $35 for it. It looks like it was purchased in Hong Kong from the decal on the bottom of the seat tube. Can't find anything on the internet on this.

Has anyone seen a BSA like this before? Any idea of the year? I plan on cleaning, lubing, and riding.

One bolt has the raleigh "R" on it, the others have a "C" I knew the seat wasn't original so I checked around in the garage and found this leather saddle which may have come with the bike. Since it was half price day, I got it for $2.

BSA bike.jpg

headbadge.jpg

BSA generator.jpg

front brake.jpg

front derailleur.jpg

Front end.jpg

rear derailleur better.jpg

saddle 1.jpg

saddle 2.jpg

Saddle 3.jpg

seat tube graphics better.jpg

shifters.jpg

downtube graphic.jpg

Rack.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Hello Bobrowe and welcome to the forum! ;)

thank you for sharing this find with other members

---

it is relatively late for a BSA badged machine

definitely from the Raleigh time

the Huret model Luxe 700 front mech launched in 1966 so this can bracket the dating in one direction

the red "tyre" pulley covers on the Huret Svelto rear mech came in about 1969

wheel hubs appear to be Atom brand from France while the track nuts which hold them to the frame are from Gripfast, UK

while brake calipers are GB model 88 brake levers appear they may be Weinmann. possibly changed so that extension brake levers could be used.

there may be a date marking on the end of the handlebar beneath the wrap

pedals appear Phillips Apollo

headset is Raleigh so expect 26TPI

fork crown is a Vagner model DP

model is roughly parallel to the Raleigh Record of the time
cycle may have worn a model name transfer on its top tube when ex-works

the "2030" tubing transfer is visible on the seat tube

thinking a date window ca. 1968-71

the machine's serial number marking should provide a date of manufacture and the location of the facility which produced it

serial information is here -

-----

Last edited:
-----

Hello Bobrowe and welcome to the forum! ;)

thank you for sharing this find with other members

---

it is relatively late for a BSA badged machine

definitely from the Raleigh time

the Huret model Luxe 700 front mech launched in 1966 so this can bracket the dating in one direction

the red "tyre" pulley covers on the Huret Svelto rear mech came in about 1969

wheel hubs appear to be Atom brand from France while the track nuts which hold them to the frame are from Gripfast, UK

while brake calipers are GB model 88 brake levers appear they may be Weinmann. possibly changed so that extension brake levers could be used.

there may be a date marking on the end of the handlebar beneath the wrap

pedals appear Phillips Apollo

headset is Raleigh so expect 26TPI

fork crown is a Vagner model DP

model is roughly parallel to the Raleigh Record of the time
cycle may have worn a model name transfer on its top tube when ex-works

the "2030" tubing transfer is visible on the seat tube

thinking a date window ca. 1968-71

the machine's serial number marking should provide a date of manufacture and the location of the facility which produced it

serial information is here -

-----
Great information. That was really helpful. The brake levers are GB and the extension levers seem to be add on's since they do not fit right. Also the tubing is called Tru well 205. I did not care for the kickstand but upon closer examination it is pretty interesting. It has a locking mechanism when down to keep the stand from folding up. Here are some more pictures. I added the red wire to the generator.

Have you ever heard of Raleigh's that were built in the Phillipines? I saw one at this same estate sale. I wish I had taken a picture of the graphic. It was a Sports with ten speeds. Looks to be early '60's. A ladies model with the shifters on the down tube. I might go get it next week.

205.jpg

brake levers.jpg

front chain ring.jpg

generator light.jpg

hong kong.jpg

kickstand.jpg

kickstand2.jpg

-----

thank you very much for these additional pictures

TRU-WEL tubing is a product of Tube Investments (Reynolds)

the machine's chainset appears to be a NICKLIN product

if you check the backside of the crank arms just below the head think you shall discover a raised letter N sitting in a recess

-----

Back