When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60's Columbia Cruiser

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I love this new addition to my 60's tanklight middleweight collection.
The "S" prefix, as per Mr. Columbia's serial# breakdown is listed as a 69 model.
The fender ornament "Red Rocket?" seems to be from the early 60's (62-63?). Can someone tell me if this ornament is original or an add on?

The crossbrace handlebar is obviously wrong, grips are Schwinn. Any ideas as to what year the handlebar is from and if they are Schwinn? Most of the research I have indicates earlier than 50's.

Again asking help from the gurus, thanks in advance.

JD

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

I saw this bike in the background on your Monark post! I would've expected it to be earlier, in that color. But, the hockey stick chainguard is the late 60s-early 70s edition. Those bars don't look like the older style braced bars. They could be from a Newsboy special of the era. As far as the rocket, I also would think earlier, but one never knows.

Columbia cataloging ads

Adam,
Seems you know a bit, so here is a reasonable question.
Other than Mr. Columbia's site and the Evolution of the Bicycle Vol 1, what other resouces are there to pin down the ad or catalog depicting this model Columbia Cruiser. I have exhausted my talents to find info on the web.
I'd really like to see what the options were and what was to be correct for the 'S" model.

Thanks in advance
JD

Honestly, there's not much out there on these later bikes. Classic Bicycle News has a prewar and postwar Columbia books, but the latter only goes to 1963. I have a 1971 catalog SOMEWHERE, but I just looked in the most obvious spot but couldn't find it.

Thanks,
I have the same filing system. Where the hell did I put that????

worth

The picture of the bicycle in ur profile, I have the same bicycle . Can u give me a ballpark of it's value? It is in pretty good shape...Im just looking for a base to see if its worth me restoring? Not that it will take much more than a good washing...Thanks

I've seen Columbia's with those bars before, so I'm pretty sure they are original. Obviously someone added schwinn grips

Columbia Cruiser's value....priceless

Well it's a great condition original painted bike. It's great to hear the crossbrace is original. Even the lights work....sweet.
$150-200.00 I'm guessing (full retail). I paid almost that but sold two other bikes i get with this bike, to get it below $140.
It's priceless to me and a great addition to my tanklight collection.
As Adam has pointed out, there is very little out there on these bikes. I have yet to find anything. Not even Mr. Columbia's website has anything on it.

Now there are two of them out there. Post some before and after pics of yours.

The 1969 catalog shows a "Rambler" model exactly like this one with that fender ornament. All the other Columbia models in the catalog are much more modern looking. It was available in flamboyant red or coppertone.
scan0012.jpg

Last edited:
69 Rambler catalog

I appreciate the info.
I now see the tab on your site for research material 69 columbia catalog.
I will email you for price info on this and other catalogs I may want.

Thanks again.

Back