When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60's Schwinn Approved Alloy Stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DrRumack80

Wore out three sets of tires already!
These stems were used on 1968/69 Varsities, and perhaps other models. Does anyone know if these stems were 22.2mm or the narrower 21.1mm used on the 70's Varsities/Continentals/Suburbans? Thanks!

schwinn app stem.jpg

Thanks! I thought the change over was later for the 27" wheel bikes. My '70 Super Sport with the chrome fork (below) will accept a 22.2 stem. The original stem is a French AVA. The '72 Super Sport I used to own had the smaller 21.1 stem. I recently got this 1970 Super Sport back after selling it over the summer, but it appears the original bars/stem have been misplaced. I want to put it back to its original configuration as a drop bar bike and was hoping one of these Schwinn Approved stems would work rather than using an AVA stem, which were prone to breaking.

20221105_172703.jpg

Excellent information. Thanks! The question is when the changeover occurred for the 27" models. The Schwinn Approved stem above looks like it could be a 22.2, as it does not taper down like this later Schwinn GB stem. My January 71 Suburban takes a 21.1 stem, as did the '72 Super Sport I used to own.

If the original bars/stem for my Super Sport do not turn up, what would you recommend as a period correct bar/stem combo? The original stem is an AVA and they are plentiful, so I could go that route. Were the bars on the 1970 Super Sport a particular model? Any guidance would be appreciated!

gb stem.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, the December '65 Schwinn Reporter says that the stem size change excludes the models with 27" wheels.
But that must exclude the varsity or any other lightweight with a blade fork. Those did get the change.

But that must exclude the varsity or any other lightweight with a blade fork. Those did get the change.
Interesting point. They would not have made one blade fork for the Varsity @ 22.2 and another for the Collegiate as a 21.1.

Yah...like I said...FWIW.
We know that the Schwinn print material did not always line up with reality.

Yah...like I said...FWIW.
We know that the Schwinn print material did not always line up with reality.
Don’t tell ex lobster man that! Good example is the starburst headbadge that was supposedly going to be on the continental’s. Only two are known to exist.

Back