When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'61 Corvette 5-Speed...No Crossed Flags!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
P

pinto_girl

Hi, I'm a new poster, with a bad case of Schwinn Sickness...I'm considering the purchase of a '61 Corvette 5-Speed in good original condition, but there's only one thing which I'm not sure about.

I don't know that much about these bikes...but I thought all the '61 and '62 Corvettes with the 5-Speed drivetrain had these little crossed flags and the number 5 on the chain guard, and a label on the seat tube that says something like 'Schwinn 5-Speed Corvette'...?

This bike, instead, has the word 'Corvette' in this odd, different type than the upper case block type I've seen on other 5-Speeds, and the words '5-Speed' in a white block with reversed out type on the chainguard, instead of the crossed flags I mentioned. And on the seat tube it only has the Schwinn logo, and nothing else.

I was wondering if anyone had any more information about this, the bike seems original otherwise but I just wanted to ask.

Thanks,
--Natalie

I think you're correct, there should be a 5 speed decal on the seat tube. It may just be a regular 3 speed frame built up as a 5, it's all standard parts. Though you have a chainguard w/the 5 speed decal. Hard to say without any pics! I would look closely at the chainguard decals, well silkscreens if they're original. If it's a decal, it may well be an owner built 5 speed. I don't recall if anyone has reproduced that specific 5 speed decal. ~Adam

I think you're correct, there should be a 5 speed decal on the seat tube. It may just be a regular 3 speed frame built up as a 5, it's all standard parts. Though you have a chainguard w/the 5 speed decal. Hard to say without any pics! I would look closely at the chainguard decals, well silkscreens if they're original. If it's a decal, it may well be an owner built 5 speed. I don't recall if anyone has reproduced that specific 5 speed decal. ~Adam

I think a 5 speed frame is wider @ the drop outs.

I have seen both

My son has reproduced 5 speed decals and made a custom "2 speed" w/ crossed flags for his own bike.

Back