When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'61 Traveler 23" frame, should I jump at this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks, didn't think about the brake cables. My '53 Varsity doesn't have any brazed on parts for any of the cables. Everything is just clamped to the top tube:

53 Varsity with B66.jpeg

Since it is a 21" frame and I'm 6'2", I have to have the seat jacked up a bit. The Brooks sure is nice, though. I lean toward your thinking, Mike. I'm more into preserving than changing things around. I don't really see myself converting the '61 to a 3 speed. So, that's probably the dilemma right now. Don't really need another 23" 3 speed any way, as I have a '59 Racer (black) and '65 Deluxe racer (coppertone, 23" frames). Found both locally for under $100.

Racer w light.jpeg

1965 Deluxe Racer.jpeg

I'm interested in the '61 mostly for the different decals. I checked the Schwinn catalogs, '62 and earlier a 23" frame was a $2 surcharge. From '63 forward they were the same price as the 21" and 19" frames. I can only assume that is one reason tall frames are more common from the mid-60s forward. I think the 2 speed would be ok. I do like the clean look (no cables), and that bike has the original light set (missing on the '63). However, I don't think I'd ride it a lot (already have two tall frame Racers). I'm weighing that bike against saving my bike $$ for that early '50s Traveler or '40s Continental tall frame - wouldn't that be nice!!!

Mike, thanks for the link to your blogspot. I found lots of interesting reading there!

Another thing missing from the 1-2 speed frame are the cable housing stops under the top tube for the rear caliper brake.
You can run cable housing all the way back, but IMHO, it looks terrible, as with this otherwise fabulous looking bicycle.

View attachment 1010087
That bike has some interesting cable routing. I'm thinking the clamp-on 3 speed cable stop is missing on the top tube. The 3 speed cable should go to that cable stop, then the bare cable goes around the cable pulley and down to the hub. The way it is, the cable pulley is not being used at all, and there is a clamp-on cable stop on the seat stay. Odd...

What you have already is nicer than what is for sale. I think the price is on the higher end, given the missing parts, but if local, I'd probably end up buying the later bike just because I don't have a 23 inch Schwinn 3-speed. I'm down to just one 21 inch New World from the 1940s. The rest are English bikes of various years. I had to really downsize when I moved a few months ago.

What you have already is nicer than what is for sale. I think the price is on the higher end, given the missing parts, but if local, I'd probably end up buying the later bike just because I don't have a 23 inch Schwinn 3-speed. I'm down to just one 21 inch New World from the 1940s. The rest are English bikes of various years. I had to really downsize when I moved a few months ago.
Thanks, and I agree with your assessment. I'm really only interested in the '61 because of those decals they used only on the Traveler from '59-'62 along with the "starburst" head badge. Since these bikes are not close, I think I'm going to wait and see.

Sorry you had to downsize so much. I have one 23" frame Raleigh LTD from early 70s. Picked it up so that I could ride the ABCE in Minneapolis. It needed (and received) a total overhaul. For me, I like the feel of the Schwinns better, but it's just a personal preference. Also love the Schwinn history - especially the era when F.W. was in charge - that was their pinnacle.

Ended up buying both bikes Friday. He came down $20 on each bike.

Got the ‘63 mostly set up with correct parts. He had a black/white S seat, but I don’t think this is correct for either bike. ‘63 catalog shows black single color seat on the Traveler, and I think the ‘61 should have a black/white S seat with a crash rail. Any insights on this? He did not have any lights on the ‘63 in the ad, but he did have a Miller double head light generator set that he said came with the bike. Pretty cool. Any info on when these were made and if they came on any Schwinn bikes? These were never shown in the Schwinn catalogs as far as I am aware. Also think the handle bars are not correct. They are larger than what is on my ‘59 Racer. Will post pictures of the ‘61 when I get it set up correct. Here are some pics of the ‘63.
FA2B666A-87DA-40CB-B25C-0C28CD9BB28C.jpeg

BD653171-2B9F-4049-A23D-371BFA94F7EF.jpeg

C3FA8782-0268-4D3D-BCC1-DF6F9E841F2D.jpeg

Finished setting up the '63. Now has correct bars. Light set is date stamped 11/62, likely a dealer upgrade. Found info on these on the Schwinn Bike Forum. Decided to put the Wrights seat on this one, don't have a correct original but the Wrights is comfortable. Should be a good rider. New brakes & cleaned up.

63 Traveler right.JPG

63 Traveler left.JPG

63 Traveler front.JPG

63 Traveler back.JPG

It's too bad that Schwinn didn't make a version of this bike using the fillet brazed chrome moly frame of the Superior/Super Sport.
I love this model, but they are SO heavy!
I have a couple of Super Sport frame sets laying around and have had the idea of making my own out of one of them but haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet.

If you went into the Paramount line you could get the 3 speed version of a Paramount . That is what the companies owner rode. Roger

Finished the '61 Traveler. Seat is not correct (should have a crash bar, I believe) but close enough. Not sure if grips were the "chubby" type or the regular teardrop '60s style. I had a spare set of chubbys, like those better for riding.

61 Traveler right.JPG

61 Traveler left.JPG

61 Traveler front.JPG

61 Traveler back.JPG

these are such cool bikes. I have a 1960 Racer. it was $20.00 and worth every penny. incorrect wheels, rusty handlebars and bad paint. I put S-7's on it because that was what I had along with some shiny handlebars and stem. I have the small frame and really like the geometry and handling of these bikes. plan on painting it black with the decals some time in the future.

Back