When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Corvette 5 Speed Assembly

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chris

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m finally getting around to reassembling my 62 Corvette 5 speed. I needed help identifying a couple of things to get the reassemble correct:

- the right type, size, and finish for the nuts and washers used on the rear wheel, front wheel, and derailleur

- the correct type and length wire for the 5 speed derailleur

I’ll probably need more help as I go along:). I’ve attached pictures of some of the areas in question prior to disassemble.

Thanks
Chris
61731584-164D-4021-A167-4D6CC291151C.jpeg
202E9985-3705-407C-BFDD-F9E95F56FDF4.jpeg
63C568F3-9D3B-44EF-8DA0-A35625E59639.jpeg
86DC4A72-C880-4DB2-9232-123441BFE95B.jpeg

Not an expert but I dont think you have the correct rear derailleur .Suntour Honor were used on road bikes in the late 60's and 70's.

Not an expert but I dont think you have the correct rear derailleur .These were used on road bikes in the late 60's and 70's.
Right, yes the derailleur shown is not the correct type. I’ve since obtained the correct 60s Huret 4-prong spring retrainer derailleur that came stock on the Corvette 5 speeds.
CD88DA74-344C-4CC9-96D9-93454AC0488E.jpeg

Right, yes the derailleur shown is not the correct type. I’ve since obtained the correct 60s Huret 4-prong spring retrainer derailleur that came stock on the Corvette 5 speeds.View attachment 862062
Here are the derailleur details on the Corvette 5 speed from the 62 Schwinn catalog. Note the flat jockey cage for the derailleur besides the unique 4 prong spring retainer.
CDCFDF56-3504-4348-9F61-C45786038602.jpeg

The shifter cable comes new in varied lengths and some generic cables don't fit the Huret shifters that well. A little oversized on the lollipop is not a big deal, it can be filed or sanded to fit. I have a bag of generic cable where the cable is actually a different gauge and it does not fit in the cable slot on these old shift levers. The NOS Huret length that fits the Corvette is 49".

The shifter cable comes new in varied lengths and some generic cables don't fit the Huret shifters that well. A little oversized on the lollipop is not a big deal, it can be filed or sanded to fit. I have a bag of generic cable where the cable is actually a different gauge and it does not fit in the cable slot on these old shift levers. The NOS Huret length that fits the Corvette is 49".
Thanks! Do you know if the catalogs for Schwinn show an exploded diagram with the number and size parts for assembling the wheels, like that of the derailleur diagram? That should show me what is correct for washer and nut size and quantity.

Back