When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Raleigh Sports with Dual Drive

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The "pit" was empty but not for long. I salvaged this cardboard from the recycling bin. It was on top of a double-wide pallet. It's perfect to contain all the little parts that want to roll away. Especially those little ball bearings in a Raleigh headset, right @morton? This is where I do my work. I call it the pit.

Today I started on the '62 Sports that I posted here:

Last edited:
First step that I do is remove the accessories. Then I remove the grips and loosen up the brake levers so they'll slide off after I remove the wheels. I have my bins and trays ready to store the parts as they come off. Old coffee bins come in handy. I use the lids to keep parts together as they come off and for storing some cleaned parts as they air dry.

The "pit" was empty but not for long. I salvaged this cardboard from the recycling bin. It was on top of a double-wide pallet. It's perfect to contain all the little parts that want to roll away. Especially those little ball bearings in a Raleigh headset, right @morton? This is where I do my work. I call it the pit.
View attachment 1133143

Today I started on the '62 Sports that I posted here:

Love those Raleighs.....well built, look good and last forever!

But those 48 (or is it 46) loose head bearings and cottered cranks.......not to be worked on with children within shouting distance. :fearscream:

Anyway, you have nice bike done well and ready for another 60 years!

Last edited:
Got a bit more disassembly done. It's going well. Bike is in great shape. I haven't worked on a Raleigh from this era. Late sixties and early seventies bikes are a little different. I haven't seen front wheel nuts with a shoulder that sets through the washer and into the fork. The inside of the rims looks brand new. Before I attempt the cotter pin removal I fill the void around it with oil and let it soak overnight. One side at a time. Seems to help.

Taking apart the front hub I noticed differences from later models. The cones on both sides of the axle are the same. On later models the fixed cone is round and not squared for a wrench. The axle on this one has a slot cut for a toothed washer. Little bit different.
Got the cotter pins out and took apart the bottom bracket. The proper tools help. Thanks you to http://bikesmithdesign.com for the pin removal tool and the fixed cup removal tool. Soaking in LA's Totally Awesome gets the gunk off and I finish with a brass brush, tooth brush and hot water rinse. I dry em off in front of my fan. I'm really looking forward to the dual drive hub.

Back