When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Raleigh Sports with Dual Drive

-
The 3 cog cluster cleaned up well. I bet I could even get it apart with two chain whips. Neat "Cyclo" stamping. I wonder why it's in quotation marks.

Well it appears the driver is the same size. It's already a pita to get the spring clip on, even more so in the cramped area inside that cog cluster. I have all the ball bearings and adjacent parts degreased, cleaned and ready to go. Next I'll detail all the other small bits. I'll take my time on that Benelux derailleur when I get to it. I have found a great way to clean the cable housing.... stay tuned for that. The cleaned and regreased SA hub is spinning like a top.

I cleaned up the brakes and cables. I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the cable housing on my last rehab and found it worked great. They're just like a sponge but somehow do a good job at brightening. Might be able to notice in the before and after pics? I have been cleaning up the smaller bits and mostly have them all clean. The chrome polished up nicely and I also have everything but the frame polished and waxed. Today I started on the Benelux derailleur. I'm servicing the bearings inside the small chain tensioner wheels. I'm doing one little wheel at a time to keep their orientation straight. Getting close to my favorite part....... reassembly.

Hitting the home stretch now. I decided to add a traditional Raleigh lamp bracket. I'm not going to use the bottle generator and lighting system that was on the bike. Not sure what I will use yet but I'm switching the thick toothed washer in the headset assembly with the lamp bracket. Got the "Cyclo" derailleur all cleaned up. Fresh bearings and grease. 15 of the little 1/8" buggers in each cog/wheel. Rolling smooth now. The only job left before reassembly is to clean, polish, and wax the the frame. Might be putting this beauty back together this weekend.

Well I finally got the entire bike polished and waxed. Now I'm starting the reassembly. Got the headset back together. Next will be the bottom bracket. Can anyone tell me what the little round bump-out on the chainstay is for? Maybe @SirMike1983 knows? Haven't seen that before.

It's for the pass-through bolt to mount a full-cover chaincase. They brazed the mounts onto most of the frames for quite a few years, even if the frame got a hockeystick guard in the end.
Good to know. Always wondered what that lug was for.

I got a little more work done tonight and now I'm done with the grease. I like getting the fresh grease in there and getting that perfect adjustment. The fine balance of free spinning and not too much play. I used two different types of grease. I'm liking the Teflon for how it stays put but like the polylube as well. The stand was over tightened at some point and crunched the chain stay slightly but not horrible. I wasn't sure about the old tires. They are a little stiff. I like the Scwalbe Delta Cruiser tire and had a set with the safety reflective stripe but maybe I'll see if I can find a set of em with white walls.

Last edited:
Got it all together. Didn't put any of the accessories back on except for the rear rack. I may end up putting the speedo back on because it sure was clean and shiny. I switched out the kickstand for a dual one. I like how the bike sits on it. Got a new B66 on it too. I'll get more pictures when I get it out for a ride. It is supposed to rain this week and I'll wait for that to wash more of the road salt away.

Back