When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62? Raleigh Sports with 'Lenton' Dual Drive

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A while back I picked up an early '70's Dunelt 5 Speed with the same tires. You can see them in the last picture:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/dunelt-5-speed.121771/
And the Schwinn lightweights I've seen all have Schwinn tires, but not the "Spitfires". I'm guessing these were supplied to Schwinn dealerships to fit to non-Schwinns. But if someone knows a better explanation, feel free to enlighten me!
That makes sense to me. Why else would Schwinn have a 590 tire?
I love that website, The Headbadge. I check it regularly for information. Thank you
edit: I did miss seeing this paint scheme labeled as a 61 on the 'Sports visual ID' page. Cool! I love that color combo. It's a wonder that it wasn't used longer.

Last edited:
A few images of the saddle. You can see the stamping on the cantle plate. With this saddle being like new it is really stiff. I've used the Brooks proofide to soften up a new Brooks saddle by applying it to the underside but being as this one has a double layer I'm wondering how I could soften it. Any ideas are welcome.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Beautiful bike. Love the darts. I wonder if ‘62 was last year for them as I have two ‘63s sports and neither have them. My ‘63s have same white grips , prop stand, ribbed white cables , and transfers though.
Just a theory but I wonder if your discomfort with the b15 maybe that it was not intended for a upright riding position like a sports. For these I think B66 or b72 ie sprung and wider work better. Clearly with the Benelux and the b15, the owner wanted to put the “sport” back in and maybe with drop bars it may have worked. Maybe put b15 on the shelf and putting something else on if you can’t get used to it. I would be afraid that much proofhide or worse some other softening agents would permanently deform and ruin it. Like to hear what the real saddle experts say.

I like the B66 or B72 idea. When I get this bike tuned and detailed I'll try swapping in one of those from another bike to see how it feels. Maybe I'll find that sweet Gran Sport or Lenton one of these days that could use a nice B15.

I've also wondered why this paint scheme wasn't used longer. I have a project bike, this Robin Hood, with the same darts, and I've seen a Rudge on EBay that also had this paint. Unfortunately the Robin Hood had no wheels when I got it, so there's no hub date to go by. But both Rudge and Robin Hood were part of Raleigh Industries before they were bought by Tubing Investments, so maybe it was a Raleigh Industries pattern that got cut short when they were merged with the B.C.C. Hercules bikes featured a similar paint scheme in 1953, as shown on @usarnie1 's post here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1...eth-ii-coronation-celebration-bicycle.139868/
But that seems to have been a one-year special as well, to mark Queen Elizabeth's coronation, and has no connection with the R.I. version that I can tell. But maybe someone in Jolly Old England has information that I don't.

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2839.JPG

Back