When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Schwinn Typhoon

-

Skiroule69

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello all! I'm new to the site but not to old bikes. This weekend I'm going to look at a '62 Schwinn Typhoon. It's the continuous twin bar frame, black with white painted rims and painted fenders. Complete bike in need of a deep clean and probably new tires and tubes. Seller wants $140 out of it. I had a couple questions: Does anyone reproduce the original Westwind 'brick' tires with the correct lettering on them? I see aftermarkets are available, but it'd be neat to have what it originally had. Second, what are these bikes typically worth in original, cleaned up but not restored condition? I'm not planning on selling it or anything, I've wanted one for a long time. Just curious. Thanks! -Marc.

Welcome, that is a particularly desireable frame as I believe it to be one year only. As a Typhoon was on the lower end of the bike spectrum they still do not attract big $. That being said the one year only frame all ready to ride I could see $250/300 depending on where you live. I believe they do make or have recently made repop west winds. I believe bicyclebones has them on ebay. That bike would have had painted fenders and black wall tires I'm not so sure BW tires are available. You may have to find an original set. Good luck and please post pictures we all love pictures.

Well I bought it! Pictures to follow soon. It's going to need a going through and all around clean and polish, but should be a solid rider when I get it done. Only thing it's missing is the stem bolt and triangle and we should be in business.

I assume it's the wedge that is missing. Is the stem in good shape, sounds like someone was having some problems with adjusting or removing the stem.

Yes it is the wedge. I managed to get one out of a bike I parted out. Also got my new tires for this bike yesterday! Can't wait to start working on it, but I want to get my Firestone GTO done (or mostly done) first.

Back