When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Schwinn Typhoon

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes it is the wedge. I managed to get one out of a bike I parted out. Also got my new tires for this bike yesterday! Can't wait to start working on it, but I want to get my Firestone GTO done (or mostly done) first.
Please post pictures of the Firestone GTO. If you ever decide to sell or donate it the Pontiac Oakland Museum in Pontiac Illinois is looking for one.

Really? I'll keep it in mind. I'm terrible with taking 'before' pictures. I'm usually so excited to start I do the teardown before thinking to document anything. She's nothing fancy, just polished patina and new tires. Part of the reason I bought it was because it's an old Mackinac Island bike...has registrations plastered on it back to '72. I'm obsessed with pretty much anything Upper Peninsula related!

Here we are. Not much to look at until I get into it. Hoping to start the teardown in a week or so.
20221214_181613.jpg

The seller was a huge bike guy, he mentioned the handlebars and stem aren't correct. What are mine supposed to look like?

Getting back to this project after being out a week with Covid (do NOT recommend!) and am anxious to get started. I had a couple questions for you guys about these '62s. Were there other colors available this year? I haven't even started on this one and I already want one of the same frame in a different color. Red maybe? Also, what was the final year for the white enamel rims in the Typhoon series? The only thing I could do last week was dink around on my phone looking at FB Marketplace. Found a few black Typhoons in the cantilever frame with white wheels. Kinda want one of those now too!

Sorry I didn't post a good update sooner. Busy with work, other projects, etc. This past weekend I finally got around to disassembly. Holy crow was this thing a grease blob! The chain was so caked it looked more like a rope! The chain stays and dropouts were loaded with it too, about the consistency of tar. I spent quite a bit of time with some Oil Eater and a tooth brush, getting it off the frame. On the up side, when they're caked in that stuff, you usually find nice shiny parts underneath! Here it is after cleaning, some light polishing compound, and a light buff. It's got it's fair share of scars, but over all I was very happy with how well it cleaned up.

I've got the crank, sprocket, all bearings and the guts from both wheels soaking in my 'parts washer' (a couple gallons of gasoline in an old bucket) to loosen up the crud. Removed the old tires (one cracked Westwind and one US Royal) and will be going through the wheels soon. If possible I want to preserve everything with the exception of tires and tubes. Also on the roster: work LOTS of dents out of the fenders. Stay tuned.
20230319_192930.jpg

Boy I can't catch a break with this one! Not sure how it slipped past me, but the Typhoon's original crank was missing most of the threads. When I went to reinstall the sprocket, I couldn't even come close to getting the nut started. So, a flea market in town sourced a Tornado girl's bike with the same crank. I must need better glasses, because by the time I got it home and tore it apart, I found out it's crank is bent (photo)! I can't win! So the project is at a standstill until I can source a non-bent crank.

crankshaft.jpg

Back