When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Traveler

-

stpeteschwinn

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up last night for the cost of a couple of cases of beer. Has some nice potential and will be my next project. As a bonus it has a sticker from the bike shop where it was sold in Hammond Indiana whereas the bike shop's name is also my surname so I guess I'm gonna have to keep this one. Looking for a starburst badge and red crashrail seat if anyone has one lying around. The rest that's lacking I have in stock. Mainly in dire need of a good cleanup. Pedals show lack of wear so this looks like it's just been sitting collecting d/rust. The guy who I bought it from told me he bought it at a yard sale...for $15.00!!!

20171221_182805.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting deal on the black mattress seats. I'll bet the one on your Traveler is original to the bike even though the catalogs show a color matching mattress seat for 62 and earlier and then later after the 63 models. The 63 models are the only ones that show the black saddle and these are most likely the same seats used on the Town & Country tandems in the late 50's early 60's and on the early 60's ten speed Tourist models. I'm not aware of any reason why Schwinn would do this, other than possibly using up a huge inventory of that particular seat or maybe some production glitch with Mesinger.
You could probably go with either seat and be OEM correct.

Here's my 61 Conti with that Made in Holland mattress.

1961 Continental Tourist 003 (Large).jpg

Interesting deal on the black mattress seats. I'll bet the one on your Traveler is original to the bike even though the catalogs show a color matching mattress seat for 62 and earlier and then later after the 63 models. The 63 models are the only ones that show the black saddle and these are most likely the same seats used on the Town & Country tandems in the late 50's early 60's and on the early 60's ten speed Tourist models. I'm not aware of any reason why Schwinn would do this, other than possibly using up a huge inventory of that particular seat or maybe some production glitch with Mesinger.
You could probably go with either seat and be OEM correct.

Here's my 61 Conti with that Made in Holland mattress.

View attachment 727930

Not surprising that you are on the money GT. As always. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to U and your family. Stay warm.

Back