When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 Panther : Fork seized

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
First time doing this?

Check out the link, this is what you are dealing with. Your stem has a wedge. Screw the stem bolt back in until it's about 1/2" up. Then tap it down to drive the wedge down. Once the wedge is free you should be able to move the bolt up and down easily. If you can, then remove the stem from the steertube. Then remove the nut and washer, (or rack bracket) from the steertube. Then unscrew the bearing race and remove the bearings. The fork can then be removed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Sti...aultDomain_0&hash=item417f3d2546#ht_450wt_900

I had a problem similar to this before, my problem was that the steer tube was bent at the top, are the rest of your forks bent?

Dear Forum Members:

Trying to dismantle my original fork (i.e., Schwinn Middleweight) from frame and it won't crack lose of head tube. I poured motor oil down inside {below neck}. Any ideas? Thanks, KC

PATIENCE....Best advice for starters..I've done this countless times.I learned not to be in a hurry.Turn the bike upside down,remove the wheel and fender screw.Spray a ton of rust breaking oil (I swear by Kano Kroil) into the fender screw hole and let it sit for a few hours.You might need to do it more than once. Careful hammering on the stem bolt,use a piece of aluminum or brass as a punch..Dont go nuts with the hammer.If it doesn't pop loose,give it more oil and time.You'll do some damage by beating on it.Again..Patience..Good luck

Last edited:
Back