When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 schwinn deluxe american

-

Marty6957

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Picked up a 64 the other day and had a few questions. Is this a two speed rear hub ? Are these s7 rims ? Before i order some 26 x 1 3/4 tires i want to make sure they’ll fit on these rims. I can’t find any markings to indicate what they are. The tire on it is a 2.125 can i assume that a s7 rim can fit a wider tire than 1 3/4 ? I measured the rims and the rear is 1 5/8” wide and the front is a little narrower 1 1/2“ the guy who sold me the bike said he 1362522

just bought the rear rim, so I’m not sure what came on it.

That is not a 2 speed rim, need close up of rims any markings . NO you can not put anything but a S-7 tire they now make a 26x13/4-2 meaning it is a fatter 1 3/4 tire. S-7 rims have to have 1 3/4 tire not 2.125 . Post more pics or wheels

That hub is a single speed coaster. If that rim has a 2.125 tire then it's not an S-7 and if it's not stamped S-2 it's not a Schwinn wheel set. S-7's take a specific tire marked 26 x 1-3/4 or 26 x 2 x 1-3/4, and nothing else will fit that rim.

Ok so i need to look at the rims a little closer and see if there are any markings. it would seem odd that there are s2 rims on a middleweight, so looking at the rear hub and bendix brake what kind of rim do u think that is? Like i said the front is narrower than the rear by a 1/8” either way i guess that gives me more tire size options.

If the tire on it is a 26 X. 2.125, then the rim is not an S7, but it could be any balloon tire rim. As stated, only 26 X 1-3/4 tires, which ARE NOT the same as 26 X 1.75 tires - no matter what you learned in Algebra class - will fit S7 rims. Other brands middleweight tires, 26 X 1.75, and balloon tires, 26 X 2.125, will fit the same diameter rims. Check the ISO numbers to see what tires fit which rims.

Hang on.. Im looking at the rear rim with the bendix 76 coaster brake on a 42" screen. It looks like there are 2 rows of knurling. There is no S-2 stamp because the rim is originally from a late 70s/early 80s Schwinn Spitfire or Cruiser. Rims with S-2 stamps are the earlier version of the S-2. You have what appears to be a later S-2. Way better rim than a S-7 since you can run the more common and cheaper balloon 26X2.125 tires. I would post more close ups and start look looking for matching front.

Or if youre going back to stock on this 64 someone may want to trade you a S-7 for that later style S-2.

Last edited:
Here are some original 26" Schwinn rims to compare to..

Early S-2............Double knurl with S-2 stamp

Late S-2.............Double knurl no S-2 stamp

And 60s S-7..... with center single knurl and a Bendix 2 speed hub

Last edited:
I saved and then blew up the picture of the rear wheel but couldn't see any knurling. Here's the Hungarian version of the later S-2's

1614066588976.png

Reactions: hm.
So here are my questions. It looks like the rear rim has two rows of train track knurling, and is probably a later model s2 rim. What is the skinniest tire i can put on that rim ? the 2.125 that came with the bike is too wide and rubs the rear fender. So i have a pair of kenda 26 x 1.5 tires that i was having trouble with mounting one turned out to have a bad section of tire that would ballon out under pressure, so i got another used tire and that seems to work. Is it essential to get a smaller width tube for the 1.5 tire. The one i have is for a 1.75 wide tire, is this a issue ? Rt now bike tires seem to be at a premium, or I haven’t bought a tire in a while.

Back