When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Stingray 3-speed !

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

whopperchopper

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm not familiar with Schwinn, and this is my first schwinn muscle bike. What do I have here ? What is original what isn't? I know the headlight/horn isn't .. horn works no lights. S7 front rim, S2!rear, S/A dated 65, stingray rear tire , west wind front, notice the tastefully done hand painted name, day dream waterslide decal, and car decal on the guard!!! Number on drop out looks like a GA 39108. It came with a 47" sissy which I know was not original. Thanks

IMG_5713.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5722.JPG

IMG_5723.JPG

IMG_5724.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5727.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

Well, what you have is a nice example of an early Stingray with plenty of potential to be an awesome rider! I'm not really a Stingray guy, I prefer the full sized bikes that my old knees can handle. That being said, I can say that your bike has incorrect pedals and grips/lever covers. I would guess that the proper grips would be either white or glitter blue chubbies. Others with more Stingray knowledge will chime in and comment. The wheels are in great shape, and should clean up very nicely. Looks like the tires will go a few more miles too! Thanks for sharing pics of this diamond in the rough!

Pedals are incorrect as stated above. The grips and lever covers do look to be correct just very dirty and will clean up. The rear tire should be the infamous yellow oval slik that I still cant get my hands on. Seat is correct silver smoothie. Red dot eye stabbing brake levers are correct. Front and rear brakes look to be correct, these 3 speeds were fenderless so that's correct. Thumb shifter is correct. In 66 they came out with the stik shift models, but even early 66 bikes had the thumb shift. These 65 thumb shift bikes are somewhat rare you dont see them pop up too often. Should have the person stamped 3 hole "high loop" sissy bar on it. I believe it's a July 1965 bike if your serial number stated is correct. When you take the handlebars off they should be nurled and say schwinn but should not have a date stamped there that started in 66. Crank should have a 65 date present and the rear hub should have a date stamped in it generally within like 3 months of the frames date.

Thanks guys, I thought the grips and lever covers were green but they do have some blue on them I'll be tearing it down and cleaning it in a few weeks. Thanks..

I'm pretty sure the Sting Rays had white grips during this time. I spent lots of time at the Schwinn shop as a kid when the Sting Rays came out. Sparkle grips hit the streets later on too.

I'm pretty sure the Sting Rays had white grips during this time. I spent lots of time at the Schwinn shop as a kid when the Sting Rays came out. Sparkle grips hit the streets later on too.
The bikes did come with white grips but there were colored grips sold as accessories, same with seats. The colored grips and seats became standard later on in the 60s.

Screenshot_20190803-025235_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190803-025531_Gallery.jpg

Schwinn had matching color grips back in the early 50's too. Did you know that the glitter grips were only an accessory before they were used as a factory installed item?

Regardless of color, the grips on this Stingray are the Slimline grips, standard on 1967 and later Schwinns. Chubby grips would have been standard for this model.

Thanks for the info, I know what to look for now, would you keep the customization of the guard or wipe it clean????

Back