When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 years old

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Got this this morning from a guy who bought it when he was 15. It was for his Raleigh.
IMG_0743.JPG

It's still usable. On my way home to try it out.
IMG_0744.JPG

I hunt down the Mucilin tins that old on ebay for fly fishing braided butt leaders. They're made from real mucilin - deer tallow - and do the job of floating the leader butt much better than the newer synthetic replacement.

tEkP8uV.jpg

Last edited:
bringing the IQ of this thread back up a little (and removed from jail showers), Proofide is not the best choice for your leather saddles (Years of sweat experience on leather saddles).

Obenauf's LP is the stuff - it has a Much higher ratio of beeswax than Proofide - so much so that it smells like honey instead of neatsfoot oil.

QB0vz4n.jpg

Last edited:
bringing the IQ of this thread back up a little, Proofide is not the best choice for your leather saddles (Years of sweat experience on leather saddles).

Obenauf's LP is the stuff - it has a Much higher ratio of beeswax than Proofide - so much so that it smells like honey instead of neatsfood oil.

View attachment 792384
Well let's hear more about this. Here's a stiff, dry, brittle leather pouch. I can't open it due to the probability that it will crumble. Obenauf makes an oil in addition to their wax. This might be the ticket. Any thoughts?
IMG_0601.JPG

Well let's hear more about this. Here's a stiff, dry, brittle leather pouch. I can't open it due to the probability that it will crumble. Obenauf makes an oil in addition to their wax. This might be the ticket. Any thoughts?
View attachment 792398
My thought is you to begin with the oil for restoration - you have to make what's left of the leather soft (and tough) again.
Next application, though, should be the LP with more beeswax for sealing.

Hate to be the rote internet naysayer, but IMHO Brooks saddles, and all leather saddles from that unfortunate butt hurt era, are over rated and really suck quite a bit, and no proof here about the fide thing seabiscuit.

not so, the proof is in distance riding, and my 6000+ mi/yr says it's so
It only takes a few minutes hanging around groups of cyclists to hear tales of need to try another new saddle, diaper, chaffing cream.
There's an entire industry built up around support for ill effects of padded saddles.
Every cross-multiple-states supported distance ride stops in any bike shop in every town for people to buy a different new saddle, diaper, chaffing cream.

People who ride distance on Brooks saddles can wear their canvas shorts, because they're not sitting on a (soggy) blanket that moves to press against every soft tissue that you're actually not sitting on - - even (especially) gel is a huge heat reservoir.
What makes Brooks work is cooling - your sweat evaporates so chaffing is never an issue, and the saddle only supports your sit-bones - it doesn't touch anywhere else, and even deflects away from your soft tissue.

All my Brooks saddles are completely invisible, and interestingly, my narrow Swallows are the most invisible of all
Ydp4SI7.jpg

g6sXqNZ.jpg

on my more upright bikes, B17
rUEJCbR.jpg

the whole break-in rumor is wild-ass internet extrapolation from people who have picked the wrong model for their riding position, and/or improperly adjusted the saddle position and horn angle
(B17 is the Wrong saddle for a drop-bar road bike, try a Swallow, Pro, B17N, Swift)

Brooks hammock leather saddles are a 120-y-o design that was never broken

they're even lighter than modern saddles when you add a pound of diaper and sweat

Last edited:
not so, the proof is in distance riding, and my 6000+ mi/yr says it's so
It only takes a few minutes hanging around groups of cyclists to hear tales of need to try another new saddle, diaper, chaffing cream.
There's an entire industry built up around support for ill effects of padded saddles.
Every cross-multiple-states supported distance ride stops in any bike shop in every town for people to buy a different new saddle, diaper, chaffing cream.

People who ride distance on Brooks saddles can wear their canvas shorts, because they're not sitting on a (soggy) blanket that moves to press against every soft tissue that you're actually not sitting on - - even (especially) gel is a huge heat reservoir.
What makes Brooks work is cooling - your sweat evaporates so chaffing is never an issue, and the saddle only supports your sit-bones - it doesn't touch anywhere else, and even deflects away from your soft tissue.

All my Brooks saddles are completely invisible, and interestingly, my narrow Swallows are the most invisible of all
View attachment 792412
View attachment 792423
on my more upright bikes, B17
View attachment 792425

the whole break-in rumor is wild-ass internet extrapolation from people who have picked the wrong model for their riding position, and/or improperly adjusted the saddle position and horn angle
(B17 is the Wrong saddle for a drop-bar road bike, try a Swallow, Pro, B17N, Swift)

Brooks hammock leather saddles are a 120-y-o design that was never broken

they're even lighter than modern saddles when you add a pound of diaper and sweat
Ditto and Ditto etc. But I am in no way displaying any national bias on this, they are often made in Italy these days after all, they are simply very good at what they do. @bulldog1935 is right too re. the breaking in, a salacious rumour in my humble opinion!
And remember, "Proofide" is predominantly for applying to the underside of a saddle, and should only be applied sparingly/occasionally to the upper surface.
Nice find.

Back