When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Bendix 2 speed hub blue band (help me)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice going :smilecat:
The bearing cages can be reused: push out the old bearings and pop new ones in. Also replace the 11 loose ball bearings. Your LBS should have them, if not get 'em on eBay, grade 8 chrome steel ball bearings.
Is there a size on these bearings?

The 11 loose balls are 1/4". Not sure of the size of the others, but they are available as complete races on ebay if you want to go that route.

Done and done. Replaced bearings cleaned and lubed it all. The real test will be when I finish the bike up.

IMG_20170809_175516049.jpg

Old thread but quick question. With the lock nut missing, and the hub never had it since who knows where it is now, will the wheel still function normally? Is the lock nut only important when you are breaking down the hub? Seems like once you tighten up both axle nuts on the frame, it should all stay in place.

Old thread but quick question. With the lock nut missing, and the hub never had it since who knows where it is now, will the wheel still function normally? Is the lock nut only important when you are breaking down the hub? Seems like once you tighten up both axle nuts on the frame, it should all stay in place.
It may ride missing that recessed lock nut, but I wouldn't trust it under much torque. I think if you really get on it, it will turn that race/gear and tighten your bearings to the point of damage.

The bearings do NOT have to be in 'retainers'

Simply replace the bearings with 'loose balls'

Fill the bearing race(s) ( not the cone portion ) with a 'bed' of grease

Then place individual balls into race(s) ....fill space entirely with balls, then remove one ( maybe ) ....you do NOT want the bearings to 'overlap' one another

Loose balls have a advantage, the use of loose balls increases the load carrying capacity of your hub = more points of support

Last edited:
Back