When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coppertone Collegiate

-
-----

Minor mechanicing tip -

The drums on these older Huret shift levers are slightly smaller than everyone else's.

When you mix them with non-Huret mechs it can take somewhat more lever travel to effect a shift.

After you have had an opportunity to use the machine a bit shift it onto to small cog and take up any slack there may be in the cable.

Otherwise you may have to have the lever back parallel with the top tube to get the chain onto the large cog.

Huret went to a normal size drum beginning with the launch of the Jubile gear ensemble in 1973.

Ensembles such as Club, Challenger & Eco have the normal size drum.

Thanks again for sharing this mount! ;)

----
Good to know! Is there anything you don’t know?

-----

Difference is modest - not a major concern.

Schwinn has mix kitted their gear ensembles with Huret and non-Huret components themselves.

For instance, the Sports Tourer of 1971 featured the Schwinn Approved Huret stem controls paired with Schwinn Approved Huret front mech and Campagnolo Gran Turismo rear mech.

Shortly thereafter the Sports Tourer had a similar setup but with a Shimano Crane GS rear mech.

----

I think Schwinn quickly came to realize that the Gran Turismo wasn't a very good derailleur.
I hear everyone say this but my '71 shifts great. Maybe I just have a good bike mechanic ;)

763c8f09a71978670022ef5686c4021a.jpg

The one I had on my '71 P15 Paramount liked to skip over cogs. It didn't want to shift just one cog at a time. That all went away when I replaced it with a Campy Rally.

Rally (2).jpg

Eric the Rallys were better and that was what was on my P10-9 when I bought it. Still have it in a box but the Paramount has a Shimano Crane GS (Dura Ace) long cage on it and now it shifts well. Roger

Coppertone was offered from 1963 through 1968. I've had a couple of them, a 63 Jaguar and a 65 Continental, but the paint was nowhere near as good as these here.

Back