When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Fleet 24" and '68 Panther

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

parkrndl

Finally riding a big boys bike
Back in February, a friend at work who knows I fool around with old bikes put me onto a Facebook Marketplace ad for what she said was a "cool-looking old bike." Turned out to be a '67 Fleet Coppertone 24-inch, but it was listed pretty far away. I hemmed and hawed for a week, then I noticed the seller had the price set to drop every day it didn't sell... finally I broke down and drove 2 hours to pick it up. When I got there, the seller also had a Campus Green '68 Panther in his workshop with the rear wheel and fender off. The story as I remember it: the two bikes belonged to brothers whose elderly parents lived next door. Before the parents moved, they gave the bikes to the seller instead of tossing them in the trash. I told him if he lost interest in the Panther, I'd give it a good home. A week later, he messages to tell me I can have that one for the same price I paid for the Fleet. So, long story short, I have way too much wrapped up in gas money to get these two.
20180225_115548.jpg

20180225_121109.jpg

They mostly sat in the basement till summer. Now in the last month I finally got around to tinkering with them, scraping rust off, ordering Kendas, like that. (Been hunting for tanks too...)

20180729_161540.jpg

20180719_155335.jpg

20180729_183303.jpg

20180729_183446.jpg

20180729_165306.jpg

Still picking away at them, but they're pretty nice riders...

--rick

I don't think I've ever seen a Coppertone Fleet before. What's the deal on the Panther's tank, it doesn't match the overall condition of the bike?

I don't think I've ever seen a Coppertone Fleet before. What's the deal on the Panther's tank, it doesn't match the overall condition of the bike?
Both bikes should have tanks, I got them both without. I found that one online; it's pretty rough but so is the rest of the bike. The plan is to eventually refinish it and weather it so it looks like it belongs. Not setting my hopes real high on ever finding a 24" tank... :rolleyes:

From what I've read, the only years the Fleet came in Coppertone were '67 and '68, and for those two years they were only available in 20" and 24". I have a '63 Fleet in red (actually my avatar pic) that's a 26".

--rick

In that last picture, you really notice the difference in size. Good job on these two, they're looking better already!

Back