When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 grip question

-

pedal4416

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I'm in need of some grips for my 67 coppertone deluxe. Would coppertone be correct? If so I'm assuming I need the chubby style because they seem to be more expensive!
Here's the 2 styles I keep finding, which ones are right?

IMG_2258.PNG

IMG_2259.PNG

Those two sets look the same to me. Part number 7925 Coppertone. Same "chubby" grips that are on many other 1967 Coppertone models. Color shade will vary due to weathering and age, and the lighting used for the pictures.

They are slightly different, bottom set has a deeper more tear drop shape and the last finger groove is longer. It looks chubbier. The top is shallower, more of a spear shaped logo and evenly spaced fingers. I'd like to get the bike as close to correct as possible.

Had a coppertone 67 Racer with the slimlines, had a coppertone 67 collegiate with the chubbys. I'd say chubbies on a deluxe bike.
1785e49a2a60a40a815518b45358e660.jpg
e8f18a30a9ac1bd5cb3a3ac4df83230b.jpg

It seems that Schwinn has the same Factory Number on the grips (7925) for the vast majority of the bikes in 1967, just different colors. Makes no difference what model, Sting Ray, Heavy Duty, Breeze etc.. This is not true for the 66 and earlier models though. o_O Same size/age kids riding Stings Rays and middleweights or lightweights, so I see no reason why they would use a skinnier grip from one model to the next. On the smaller juvenile bikes I can see them using the slimlines.

Back