When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 grip question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Don't some of the early rays have white chubbies? Not my area of not-an-expertise so I could be very wrong. A lot of small detail stuff changed in 67 from what I've noticed.

I grew up during the Sting Ray rage and the colored glitter grips were first seen as an on the shelf custom Schwinn dealer part prior to being factory standard issue, which seems to have started with the 1967 models. I believe chubs were the norm on all the little big boy bikes when the glitter pieces became factory issue. The 64 Jags used the same grip as the 64 Sting Rays so I'd say the Rays came with chubs, white or whatever flavor of the year.

I have a '67 Deluxe and a '67 standard Ray Copper tone (both stock) and they both have the slimline sparkle grips like the second picture.

According to the Sept. 1967 Schwinn Reporter the Slim-Line grips (#7926) were introduced in production around Sept. 1967 in Violet, Campus Green, Sky Blue, Coppertone, Black and Flamboyant Red, replacing the #7925 glitter, #7916 Black and #7952 White "chubby" grips.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. I'd rather have chubbies cause they feel better(insert jokes here)but I'll go slimline cause they're cheaper!

Last edited:
I believe my bike is a September 67. I'll look again after my ride through the fireworks in my crazy neighborhood.

Back