When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Apple Krate

-
Even after collecting vintage bicycles going over 40 years, I'm still a "student" learning all the time. I know less about the 60's and 70's because my focus has been more "balloon era" now all over the map. Exact details are murky on all factory specs on production bikes bordering in later and early production units so to argue or claim "perfection" is an exercise in futility and a waste of time. Just enjoy what you have, or to quote a 1970's CSN&Y song, "Love the one your with".

Amen brother.

I age
These late and early months bike are always debated. It should be noted that Schwinn did not throw parts in that trash in November. The shifter could have made it onto the bike. But not worth an argument. I have changes parts on many bike over the last 25 years on bike I was absoliyely positve that they were original just to eliminate arguments with all the so called experts. These experts have now taken over Facebook and true correctness has died.

Anyhow this bike has been repainted to correctness has little meaning. Eye appeal is whats important.ree man. Sometimes people just respond because they love to hear their (digital) voice
I have done it occassionally so I am then ast to point fingers and I have had some questionable bikes as well.
For instance, December 1968 Pea Picker with a Silverglow green stripe saddle, the earliest of the 1969 shifters, no front fender and the wide 1968 handlebars. Essentially the same bike as the 1,000,000th bike in 1968, bike, the 1968 Orange Krate in the Bicycle Museum of America.
I also had a December 1971 Disc brake Orange Krate with a 6-71 hub on the rear.
Like I said man, I agree with you 100% on the correctness being way overrated and I would not change a screw just because someone said it was incorrect when rebuilding these bikes, especially on changeover bikes.

If it were a November 1968 bike it was probably built in late winter/early spring 1969.
Interesting though is the one millionth Schwinn built in 1968. It had a front fender, wide bars,and an orange stripe Silverglow accessory seat according to Schwinn and the Bicycle Museum of America.
It really couldn't have been built November 1968 so you would be correct in your memory of the time frame.
I may be wrong but I thought 1969 handebars were still wide, maybe even 1 year and popular. I was thinking the really narrow bars were available from 1970 up.
I vould be wrong, and I am in the hospital right now until I can get released from my neck surgery I had yesterday. I xan check the catalogs later today.
Rob
Hope you get better quick Rob

Nashman,

Very nice ‘68 Apple, but I must comment on that one year only seat ….. beautiful!

E40A579D-EAAB-41D6-A9BF-2C80943A5BD0.jpeg

If it were a November 1968 bike it was probably built in late winter/early spring 1969.
Interesting though is the one millionth Schwinn built in 1968. It had a front fender, wide bars,and an orange stripe Silverglow accessory seat according to Schwinn and the Bicycle Museum of America.
It really couldn't have been built November 1968 so you would be correct in your memory of the time frame.
I may be wrong but I thought 1969 handebars were still wide, maybe even 1 year and popular. I was thinking the really narrow bars were available from 1970 up.
I vould be wrong, and I am in the hospital right now until I can get released from my neck surgery I had yesterday. I xan check the catalogs later today.
Rob
I don't follow your dates and logic . . . read again

Rob
Best to you for a speedy recovery from surgery.

I don't follow your dates and logic . . . read again
The frame numbers, according to the "experts", were stamped on a bike and put on racks to be painted as needed. Sometimes a frame may not be built for a couple months or so after it was stamped and painted. I don't always agree with that thought train, but all the "experts" here flog me like a heretic when I disagree.
To me the Stingray line sold so fast I don't know how frames could wait 2 months to be built but whenever I bring this fact up out comes the Cat-O-Nine Tails to remind me not to disagree with those who are all knowing and all poweful.
Hence the message, and I did read it right the first time.
Thanks, Rob

The frame numbers, according to the "experts", were stamped on a bike and put on racks to be painted as needed. Sometimes a frame may not be built for a couple months or so after it was stamped and painted. I don't always agree with that thought train, but all the "experts" here flog me like a heretic when I disagree.
To me the Stingray line sold so fast I don't know how frames could wait 2 months to be built but whenever I bring this fact up out comes the Cat-O-Nine Tails to remind me not to disagree with those who are all knowing and all poweful.
Hence the message, and I did read it right the first time.
Thanks, Rob
I received the bike in November. So it was obviously built before that . .late summer, Fall etc. That was my point. What I do not remember was which November . . 1968 or 1969. I am about as sure as I can be that it had a front fender, But absolutely did it have a silver seat, no doubt about that. I do think it had the side ball mounted shifter handle.

Back