When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Orange Krate

-
Hi Robert,

I had one of the first 1000 Krates. Just got lucky back in 1967, as the Orange Krate was not even in the Schwinn catalog yet. After my Wards/Higgins 24" 5-speed was stolen, my folks got about $50 insurance for it, and were willing to go an extra $50 for me. Went down to the bike shop planning to buy a Fastback or RamsHorn. The shop had one Orange Krate on featured display. We talked with the owner, who told us they just put it together two days before, that it was only one of two in the whole San Francisco Bay Area, and only 1000 had been made so far. No more to be out for about another month. Verified all that info with another large Schwinn dealer in the area who couldn't get one yet. Went back right away to the first store and bought it before it was gone.

I don't recall exactly the month I got it. It may have been as early as November. A fellow local to me had a Dec. 1967 Orange Krate, and it had slightly different details than mine – so I'm not really sure if December frame bikes were one of the first 1000 Orange Krates. Someone else here might know if there was a bigger run that came out just in time for Christmas. I seemed to have heard something to that effect a few years ago.

Anyway, here was the setup on the bike that you might go by if you want to replicate a true first run 1000: Both the other fellow's '67 and mine had AS bolts (not S bolts) on both the springer top and the seat post clamp. My seat post clamp (and I think his) was cadmium plated – not chrome. Of course, the knobby rear tire with the orange stripe. All $800 worth. ;)

Mine differed from his December bike in that it had a different round 'Schwinn Quality' decal on the seat post tube. His had the round circle around the outside like all the later Krates had. Mine had the one you'd see on earlier Stingrays where the outer circle had a sprocket tooth design. It was placed pretty low on the seat post tube - roughly about 3" higher than the top of the chain guard.

If you can before repainting it, definitely try to establish the fact that it was actually a '67 Orange Krate, and not another '67 5-speed that used the same frame. That would authenticate the rarity. If there's some original paint to be left inside the bottom bracket, inside the steering tube, and especially behind the head badge, that would be good to leave on. If you can't save any original paint, authenticate it as best you can with photos.

Photo below shows where I believe my 'Quality' decal was originally placed. Next post will show the type of decal.

Best regards,
Jeff

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

I had one of the first 1000 Krates. Just got lucky back in 1967, as the Orange Krate was not even in the Schwinn catalog yet. After my Wards/Higgins 24" 5-speed was stolen, my folks got about $50 insurance for it, and were willing to go an extra $50 for me. Went down to the bike shop planning to buy a Fastback or RamsHorn. The shop had one Orange Krate on featured display. We talked with the owner, who told us they just put it together two days before, that it was only one of two in the whole San Francisco Bay Area, and only 1000 had been made so far. No more to be out for about another month. Verified all that info with another large Schwinn dealer in the area who couldn't get one yet. Went back right away to the first store and bought it before it was gone.

I don't recall exactly the month I got it. It may have been as early as November. A fellow local to me had a Dec. 1967 Orange Krate, and it had slightly different details than mine – so I'm not really sure if December frame bikes were one of the first 1000 Orange Krates. Someone else here might know if there was a bigger run that came out just in time for Christmas. I seemed to have heard something to that effect a few years ago.

Anyway, here was the setup on the bike that you might go by if you want to replicate a true first run 1000: Both the other fellow's '67 and mine had AS bolts (not S bolts) on both the springer top and the seat post clamp. My seat post clamp (and I think his) was cadmium plated – not chrome. Of course, the knobby rear tire with the orange stripe. All $800 worth. ;)

Mine differed from his December bike in that it had a different round 'Schwinn Quality' decal on the seat post tube. His had the round circle around the outside like all the later Krates had. Mine had the one you'd see on earlier Stingrays where the outer circle had a sprocket tooth design. It was placed pretty low on the seat post tube - roughly about 3" higher than the top of the chain guard.

If you can before repainting it, definitely try to establish the fact that it was actually a '67 Orange Krate, and not another '67 5-speed that used the same frame. That would authenticate the rarity. If there's some original paint to be left inside the bottom bracket, inside the steering tube, and especially behind the head badge, that would be good to leave on. If you can't save any original paint, authenticate it as best you can with photos.

Photo below shows where I believe my 'Quality' decal was originally placed. Next post will show the type of decal.

Best regar

I'd have to see something from Schwinn such as a dealer bulletin before I accepted that as gospel. V/r Shawn

You know alot about these bikes I bought one in Aug 68 when I was 13 it did not have pogo post this one does. before i sandblasted the frame it was Kool Orange, and chain guard was atached ser Mc66273. I did not know about AS
bolts I want it to be as orginal as possible

just one thing to remember here.A serial number is just that,a serial number.the dropouts were stamped before the frame was ever built.there were no numbers that kept track of exactly how many specific models were built.a complete bike could've,and most were,be built months after the actual serial number date.

Hi Robert,

Best regards,
Jeff

View attachment 363667
Hi Robert,

Best regards,
Jeff

View attachment 363667

FB_IMG_1474295366577.jpg

20160926_214004.jpg

20160926_213932.jpg

20160926_213823.jpg

20160926_213839.jpg

20160926_213642.jpg

20160926_213451.jpg

20160926_183644.jpg

Hi Robert,

Best regards,
Jeff

View attachment 363667

Back