When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70’s style, Beach Cruiser.

-
Ok, so I switched out the tires and went for a beach cruise.

These Super Balloon Typhoon Cords are way better!

They even get the looks from the sun bathers.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day out on the 1948 Schwinn DX, 70’s style,
Beach Cruiser.

I got this 1948 Schwinn DX model after it had been passed around the hobby a bit, so since it was only partially intact, I decided the best course of action, was to just build it up as a boardwalk roadster.
Back when I was in high school, you could pick up a bike like this, for $10 bucks at a local thrift store.
There were only two things you looked for.
It had to be a skip tooth, and it had to be a Schwinn.
If it didn’t have either of those characteristics, you kept moving.
First thing to go, in converting your new found, old bike into a beach cruiser, was the fenders.
No need for those on a crowded boardwalk in the middle of Summer.
Next was a few personal touches, like the addition of the stylishly curved Torrington, “half moon” bars, and a super comfortable “clothespin” spring saddle.
Another popular upgrade at the time, was the heavy duty, Schwinn “Wasp” type, large flange hub.
With these minor alterations, the look was complete.
You had yourself a classic 70’s style, “Beach Cruiser.”
View attachment 1613994

View attachment 1613993
View attachment 1613995
The “Studded Balloon” tires, completed the look, but I have to admit, they suck for riding the boardwalk.
So, I think I’ll switch them out for the buttery smooth ride of the tried and true,
“Typhoon Cord.”
I mean after all, you don’t want to have to have a gorilla grip on the handlebar with one hand while you’re carrying your surfboard in the other, and simultaneously checking out the smokin hot chicks in thong bikinis.
So, I’m going with the Typhoon Cords. 😎
would love to buy this let me know if you are interested. i'm in mission viejo thanks

Back