When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70's Peugeot Winter Cheapo Project...

-
Work your magic Harpo!!

Tons of tiny paint chips all over the bike that I didn't see (left my !~@#$%^ glasses home), but still...$35? I'll deal with it! Worse rust is beneath and around the shift levers. Why only there?? Nothing eaten through, just paint loss. You can see it on the first photo. Weird...

Rear derailleur is all cleaned and functioning properly. Almost all the chrome on both rims came up beautifully, so I'm still working on the rest of the bike. Only things I see not original...saddle...tires/tubes...one end cap on the handlebars...and that's it!

BTW, the gross looking hand brake levers :grimacing: are now nice and clean, thanks to Fantastic and an old tooth brush.

fred

For $35 that was an excellent buy, IMO. It looks like it will clean up very nicely, and with fresh lubrication it should make for a very enjoyable ride. Many happy owners these UO8's have.

Hello Fred! That bike could not have gone to a better home! Always liked that blue but it doesn’t look bad in white either;) Farrah Faucet in 70’s on a U08.

9DDCB810-189E-408E-B171-B192327A05B8.jpeg

FF6713D5-35FB-4AF4-AA79-E613B5949689.jpeg

Last edited:
I put it on Facebook Marketplace yesterday for $115 or a Reasonable Offer. Plenty of viewers...not one offer. I think it's the rust around the shifters putting people off from even making an offer. :(

This one might be hanging around for a while...:rolleyes:

I have been repairing a broken bike cable on my old Peugeot with Mafac center-pulls, The new cable I got for the rear brake has a lug on one end for the open caliper, but it doesn't quite fit. Also the new cables seem to be a slightly larger diameter than what was allowed for in the brake fittings. Is this a common problem?

I have been repairing a broken bike cable on my old Peugeot with Mafac center-pulls, The new cable I got for the rear brake has a lug on one end for the open caliper, but it doesn't quite fit. Also the new cables seem to be a slightly larger diameter than what was allowed for in the brake fittings. Is this a common problem?

View attachment 1373712
When replacing a MAFAC straddle cable, I generally use an old derailleur cable. These are slightly smaller in diameter than brake cables. You'll need the original hardware, though.

Back