When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 colleagate rear axel removal?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

62typhoon

Finally riding a big boys bike
I want to disasemble and grease my bearings, can this be done without removing the cassette? I started taking it apart but the nut is recessed inside the cassette.

The axle can be pulled out without removing the free wheel, but you still have the dust caps. If you have a local bike shop they could probably pull the free wheel so you can do it up right. You don’t need a tool to put the free wheel back on.

-----

axle removal is the easy part as mentioned above if done from the non-drive side

very difficult to repack drive side cup with gear block in place

BTW - it is not a "cassette" - can be termed a freewheel or gear block

a cassette is something else which came later

gear block really needs to be removed to make a proper job of the procedure

-----

I took it to my local shop, the guy looked pretty skeptical that they would have a tool the fits a 71...he dug through a drawer and first pick fit like a glove, he had the Freewheel(Thanks Juvela) off in a second and I was on my way, no charge...this place is great!...Took everything apart cleaned and I'm ready for regrease and installation. When I reinstall the freewheel I just spin it back on and riding will tighten it ,correct?...thanks guys for the help.

-----

@62typhoon -

let us hope the cones are yet good

the replacement cones for Schwinn Approved Atom & Normandy hubs have been unavailable for many years

the Etablissements Maillard plant in Incheville France which produced them closed permanently in 1991

enthusiasts have found it necessary to be creative in generating suitable replacements...

it is sometimes possible to keep a hub running via cannibalisation

best wishes with it 😉

-----

Best to remove the freewheel. If it is really stuck then use an impact wrench to remove it. You'll be glad you did, especially if the ball bearings are loose and not caged.

-Ken

1971 Collegiate has SHIMANO freewheel.
As 1970 Collegiate and the 1970 FIVE SPEED SUBURBAN have the Model J (shimano)freewheel with 32-26-21-17-14.

The 1964-1969 Collegiate has the same Model F (French made) freewheel as seen on sixties & seventies era Varsity-Continental-10 speed Suburban. The Model F is 28-24-20-16-14.
Though the Model F is a fine freewwheel, the Model J (built by shimano for Schwinn) is exponentially better in quality.

Back