When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Manta Ray

-
I believe a Speedster or other camel back frame has straight bars for the seat stay, where as a Manta Ray's is curved (as in the black bike photo). Same goes for a 20" Speedster vs. Fastback.

Hey there 383camino. If you get a chance, please peep the info I shared when you get a chance. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Looks likea really nice find! I like it; ride or display as is or keep an eye for the "right" parts.
Hey there 383camino. If you get a chance, please peep the info I shared when you get a chance. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

You can use this as a reference to how you may/may not want to make it to close as original...

DSCN0554.JPG

Last edited:
The bike is a repaint. Those Clyde Dunaway decals are sold on Ebay. V/r Shawn

And I never would have guessed that. Thanks for the info Shawn (even if it did burst my bubble a bit). If anyone knows, the Georgia guy should! Thanks again sir. Peace!

Be careful what you are getting into here.. Even though this has been repainted black there are many things wrong with it. One of the first things I look for is whether or not it has the correct wheels, mag sprocket, fenders, seat, and of course the shifter is incorrect. The seat and the shifter will cost you dearly to make correct.

View attachment 723140

Thanks for the photo and info. I actually have a shifter (would need the rear hub of course) but plan on putting it on there eventually. And yes, the seat seems to be ghostly (aka hard as heck to find and quite costly). At any rate, this is a super cool clone, I enjoy it, and I suppose in the grand scheme of things, all that matters. Cheers and happy riding!

I concur with the repaint assessment. Also note that the chainguard appears to have a decal while an original would have been screened.

I didn't really understand the above comment about the speedster frame similarities/differences. Thanks again for all of the input and help. Cheers!

About a year ago I met a co worker who collects balloners. When I told him I have a 24" Speedster he told me I could convert this to a Manta. Its been over 40 years since I owned one but told him I think the speedster is stretched/longer. Then saw the post here ... thought maybe it could be. 383camino pointed out the rear struts have a radius, while the speedsters are straight. So I looked at the picture of mine and sure enough. Something else, the mantas end parallel with the top bar the speedsters don't. Can you tell us what the wheelbase is? Its 39" on a speedster
24 Speedster.jpg

I can't speak to the wheelbases; the curved tubes were something I caught on to from endless shopping and surfing looking at old bikes. :)

Back