When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Raleigh DL-1

-
Got a little more work done. The frame, fork, fenders and chainguard cleaned up well. Now I need to polish and wax them. Pictures of these later. The chrome parts cleaned up really well. After trueing the wheels and minimizing the hop as much as I could I had to file down some of the spoke ends that came through. Still more to do. More pictures soon.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Every last part has been scrubbed clean. The chrome has been polished and the painted parts have been cleaned, polished and waxed. Now for my favorite part, the reassembly, and hooray hooray that started today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bigger cog is the best upgrade for these bikes! But beware too big of a cog will result in the chain slapping the underside of the guard and chain tension will need to be precisely adjusted with larger cogs. Mine is in storage so I don't remember the exact cog size, but you can only go so big. These bike came geared ridiculously high from the factory. Especially for the large wheels and overall weight.

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed there isn't any room for adjusting that chainguard in the back as it's attached at the bolt holding the seatstay to the chainstay. I have a 19 tooth I can use if the 22 turns out to be too big.

Getting close. The original tires were flexible and showed no cracking so I mounted those up. Front wheel is on and sitting pretty. The front fender mounted nicely too, even-steven with the wheel right down the center. I had the chainwheel crank mounted but needed to pull it out flush to the end of the spindle to clear the chainguard. Talk about minimal clearance. So far everything is spinning free and easy and adjusted just right with minimal play. Hoping to wrap this baby up and get it on the road in the next few days.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The parts holding bins are almost empty and that means one thing...... I'm almost done with this project. Yeehaw! All that's left is to put on the brake shoes and then position and adjust the brakes. Easier said then done with these rod brakes.
I had to go to a smaller cog on the SA hub. I had a new 112 link chain to use but it came out a bit short with the 22t cog and I didn't want to have two master links with a short couple links in between. I thought that I had a 19 tooth but the only other one I had was an 18 tooth. It'll do for now.
Things came out nice and tight but every step was delicately adjusted multiple times....Augh! Super fine spinning and minimal play on all fronts. Sure to be a smooth ride. I'll let you know soon and post some ride pics with the finished product.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well my like for this bike turned to love. :hearteyes: This bike fits me well and rolls smooth and silent like a hawk coming in for a kill. The 18 tooth cog on the SA hub wasn't too bad. I'll probably order a longer chain and whenever the og tube gives out in the rear wheel I'll try to swap in the 22t cog at that time. Too much of a pita to mess with otherwise. The brake adjustment took a few tries but I feel they are dialed in now.
I had the Brooks B135 stashed away after buying it on sale and was waiting for the right bike to install it on and I think this one fits the bill. The small bag came with the bike and it has a couple of tools in it. The burger bell was a Christmas present from my brother and added the perfect finishing touch.
Really enjoyed riding it today and look forward to riding it some more.

BEAUTIFUL job! Worth every ounce of perspiration.

But...isn't the saddle angled a bit to far back...?

Back