When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72-73 World Voyageur Seatpost size?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Salt Flat Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this frame set this week. Looks to be a 1972 built World Voyageur in kool Orange. It’s missing the wheel set, seat, and random bits and pieces. For the life of me I can’t find my calipers, anyone know the size of seat posts that these used? It was cheap and it’s nice to have a schwinn lightweight that is actually light in weight.

I had a pair of coaster brake 700c wheels that I threw on it.

I’m personally not a fan of drop bars. Too many skateboard injuries when I was young that they hurt my wrists. Threw on the Wald bars (867’s I think) and pulled off the guard and 39 tooth ring.

I don’t really love the cream tires with the orange. It might be blasphemous but I’m thinking that I might strip off the orange for an all chrome bike. The orange looks better in the pictures and on the other side someone started trying to paint it black.
I have a bag of parts from the bike. Not really sure what is original or not.

The chrome under the paint is not finish chrome. Looks more like silver than chrome. Here is mine that someone stripped the paint so you can see what it would look like. I like the look but not really like a chrome bike. Used a chrome pump for comparison. 26.6 seatpost 26.8 will not work

1972 Schwinn World Voyageur (Medium).JPG

P1010006 (2).JPG

P1010009 (2).JPG

Last edited:
@schwinnbikebobb That’s interesting. I saw one where the guy stripped it off and it was shiny like the lugs. Makes you wonder if some were and some weren’t. It makes sense that they wouldn’t polish where it was going to be painted.

Last edited:
-----

congratulations on this excellent find! ;)

condition of paint finish much better than most which turn up

can recall looking at these at me local upon launch in 1973

please keep us posted as you work with it...

-----

Nice find indeed. I have an orange '72 that was almost complete including the Hupel 26.6 seatpost (too short for me). The only thing missing was the bash guard for the chainring - hang onto that, they tend to fetch a decent price as I discovered... :)

The thing with chrome is the prep of the metal before doing it. Any part that you want to end up shinny has to be polished/buffed first and that is labor intensive/expensive. On bikes they only polished the parts that would not be painted. Roger

Nice find indeed. I have an orange '72 that was almost complete including the Hupel 26.6 seatpost (too short for me). The only thing missing was the bash guard for the chainring - hang onto that, they tend to fetch a decent price as I discovered... :)
Thanks for saying what the seat post size is!!!

The thing with chrome is the prep of the metal before doing it. Any part that you want to end up shinny has to be polished/buffed first and that is labor intensive/expensive. On bikes they only polished the parts that would not be painted. Roger
That makes a lot of sense. The orange is growing on me. I think some black tires would make me like the orange better.

You'll like it once you get it outfitted, the chrome/orange combo pops and they're great rides. I get compliments on mine, but then again I live in Tennessee and there's a rumor some big college football team is somehow associated with the color....
IMG_20180318_142557.jpg

Here is a pic of mine, I really like the orange color on these bikes. Tim

704C63F6-19FD-4B3A-8473-6C0F2F00EBFC.jpeg

0DADB2AE-2CB6-44AC-A92A-6B2DD5ADCDC3.jpeg

Back