When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 LeTour

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
20211226_041139.jpg
20211226_041303_copy_1058x889.jpg
20211226_041311_copy_1028x1028.jpg

I replaced stock crappy pedals with KKT ones. Wish it was my size.

Sweet ride! It's the Super too....which was lighter than the LeTour by some pounds. At least two of the frame tubes are double butted on the Super. Original rims on the Super should be alloy as well.
12.2 Kilograms on the 1977 Super Le Tour (small frame, IIRC), hence the 12.2 just as the Voyageur 11.8 was 11.8 Kilograms and they were only different weights due to the specs. On the 25" frames fabbed by Panasonic, the down tube was straight gauge. IMO, the "Super Lite" tubed frames ride more nicely than the "Ultra Lite" tubesets that followed. The OE rims on the 1977 SLT I had were not hooked and only Continental branded tires stayed easily put with the higher pressures required for road tires. Even so, I like the Panaracer Paselas and ran them anyway.

My 1977 Super Le Tour 12.2 before a felonious driver destroyed it and sent me to the ER in September 2007.

1977LeTour12.2.jpg

Last edited:
My doctor neighbor (who doesn't talk to anyone) put his 25" red, first yr Panasonic out on the curb with a 'FREE' sign.....no seat. Everything else is bone stock. I just replaced some rotten cables (not a color match, don't care) and have been riding it for over a decade. Even survived a summer as a 'loaner' to a boy I mentored. BB grease looks factory and like it was assembled yesterday.

Mine looks like Quakertown's with more scratches and small traces of rust on some chrome parts. Threw out the steel wheels and replaced them with alloy. Too many other projects to strip down and rebuild first.....if I ever even do the LeTour. Did figure out how to get the pedals apart if I want to....thanks to a member here.

Kevin

The LeTour 12.8 would be 26.9 pounds, and it was supposed to be the light model with all it's alloy parts, and that is what just about any straight-gauge lugged road bike is going to weigh. I was surprised a few weeks ago when a friend of mine put my '73 Paramount p13 with 25" frame height, on a digital scale and with a Brooks saddle and steel seatpost it still came in at 21.9 pounds, did not think the Reynolds frame/fork would make that big of a difference, but apparently it does. I ride heavy bikes all the time, usually in fact, but it does not bother me because I weigh over 200 pounds myself, so any bicycle is going to be a very small percentage of the total weight package I am moving around, I never notice it unless I have to carry the bike up and down stairs.

I noticed the difference just by switching to alloy wheels. Especially going up grades. For sure, it's not a deal-breaker, but why not stack the deck if you can?

I'm always curious how much a Super LeTour weighs against the '74 Panasonic frame LeTour....same size. I don't see a significant frame difference......I'm not sure what else I can do that would be worthwhile to lighten the '74 appreciably.

Don't know what the Paramount folks used...Reynolds 531 or 753?

Kevin

Last edited:
I noticed the difference just by switching to alloy wheels. Especially going up grades. For sure, it's not a deal-breaker, but why not stack the deck if you can?

I'm always curious how much a Super LeTour weighs against the '74 Panasonic frame LeTour....same size. I don't see a significant frame difference......I'm not sure what else I can do that would be worthwhile to lighten the '74 appreciably.

Don't know what the Paramount folks used...Reynolds 531 or 753?

Kevin
Kevin you hit the nail on the head. 90% of the ride you feel riding different bikes is in the wheels. It's a "moving mass", any change in the wheel weight, tire pressure, rolling resistance is quickly noticed. Lightweight rims, tires, and tubes are a better choice than the same weight saved in say a handlebar/stem. The difference in frame weights between a lowly Le Tour and the top of the line Paramount is about the difference in a "full, or empty" water bottle.

One other thing you get is a "better rider to bike frame fit" on the higher end frames because they made more sizes. Paramount's have used all of the different tubes and lug sets over the years.

John

Back