When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80's Chicago Schwinn Handlebar Foam Covers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

momo608

I live for the CABE
Suspended
I have seen this handlebar covering on a number of last gasp Continental's. The 82 Continental I have came with it and I believe the bike was all original.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

00H0H_4SZdbFGqwwp_1200x900.jpg

Notice the nice tapered ends
00V0V_hd3izWFdJ3Z_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Schwinn introduced "Handlebar Cushions" in '81 as standard on the Super Sport, Super Le Tour and Le Tour. They were moved to lower end bikes in '83 and last appeared from the factory in '93 on the Sprint and Caliente.

Although not shown in the catalog on the Continental in '82, from the many bikes I've observed I do believe they were standard on the Continental that year.

The cushioned grips first appeared in the 1980 dealer parts catalog as Grab On brand foam cushions, black only. In '82 they were also available in Red and Blue. Also in '82 Schwinn introduced its own "Hypon" grips, which from the description had a smoother surface than the Grab On versions. They were also listed in Black, Red and Blue. I believe other colors were added in later years as here is a set of tan colored ones on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NOS...ISER-COMMUTER-7-8-BAR-SOFT-GOOD-/252477039682

That's interesting. Another thing to look out for, black of course.

I don't know if my bike is the exception but the stuff stunk up the whole basement. I replaced it with black cloth tape.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
You can still buy that black foam at your local bike shop. Mine charges about $6 per set.
Thanks! I see similar foam grip tubing available. Grab On is still in business but they no longer sell the kits. They offer foam tubing in many sizes but you've got to buy it through a retailer unless you want mass quantities and it doesn't have tapered ends. I bit the bullet and bought some of the black stuff you see above. Too much $ but I'm going for the record restoring my last gasp 82 Continental.

completed gas pipes 020.JPG

My dad had the Grab On kit put on his 81 Continental when he bought it. When I finally get the clone built, it will have them also (along with the Schwinn accessory handle bar bag made by Velocipac in Boulder CO). Just need to find a painter that can handle the water slide decals to get back on this project...

Back