When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80s-ish Peugeot: what model and year?

-

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Even after fixing up this Peugeot I have a rough idea of the year but no clue as to the model. There's a sticker that says '103' tubing but that's it. The front hub has an 85 engraved so I assume that's the year. The serial number is Y503 33289.

fullsizeoutput_1f6b.jpeg

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_4991.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1f64.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f65.jpeg

IMG_4998.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1f63.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f67.jpeg

IMG_5024.JPG

-----

Forgot to mention -

Other spots which can be checked for date confirmation -

handlebar, at right end

stem, just below the minimum insertion mark

Atom gear block

Weinmann brake caliper arms - there is a clock face type marking on the back side. the two digit number in the centre is the year. would expect either 84 or 85.

Shimano gears components are marked with date codes. their "secret decoder ring" is here -
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

-----

-----

Forgot to mention -

Other spots which can be checked for date confirmation -

handlebar, at right end

stem, just below the minimum insertion mark

Atom gear block

Weinmann brake caliper arms - there is a clock face type marking on the back side. the two digit number in the centre is the year. would expect either 84 or 85.

Shimano gears components are marked with date codes. their "secret decoder ring" is here -
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

-----

Thanks! Lots of good info.

Yeah, it’s a P6. Initially I thought it was a P8 but they didn’t make any in black.

This is my first Peugeot project. What is bizarre is this is the first time I’ve received any flak over pricing. $300 for a classic road bike isn’t too much, imho. No one complained when I took a $20 Varsity, cleaned it up and sold it for $200. I had such a high response rate that I probably could have gotten $250-300. Haters gonna hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting that Peugeot was the last French maker to turn Japanese (on components and threading), but by the 80s, had to give in.
$300 is too much for that bike.
My friend has wanted that much (and more) for his '79 Raleigh Super Course, finally decided not to sell, but the excellent examples I showed him sold for $175 to $250. He still has the thing stored at my house...

-----

Bicycle certainly looks great but must agree that $300 is over market for a machine with steel wheels.

-----

-----

Bicycle certainly looks great but must agree that $300 is over market for a machine with steel wheels.

-----

I'm just hoping that there's a parent out there whose kid has a birthday coming up. I've had two sales this year to parents looking for something hip for their teen.

-----

You know your local market and I certainly do not.

If the bike were located in a very "hot" market such as Vancouver or Seattle it might sell reasonably quickly at that price for all I know.

Best o' luck with it.

-----

-----

Am wondering if it is that diet of gear blocks which makes your velo ventures so successful...

Dost the delicate flavours vary from one brand and model to another?

You could write a guide to appreciation. :openmouth:

-----

Back