When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

81 Cruiser 5 crank i.d.

-

Chavez

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all,
I’m overhauling an ‘81 cruiser 5 and the crank date code has me scratching my head. The last digits look like 8D rather than 80 and the middle number is 74. What do you all think? Was the crank changed out at sometime? Or does it look original? I bought it from the original owner, but he had thoroughly messed with it over the years. Thanks in advance for any input!

That is a weird one. Could be original with an oops stamping in the cast mold. Almost looks like a 1 and then a backwards C next to it that doesn't match up at the bottom of the 1. I've seen messed up hand stamped serial numbers like that.

That is a weird one. Could be original with an oops stamping in the cast mold. Almost looks like a 1 and then a backwards C next to it that doesn't match up at the bottom of the 1. I've seen messed up hand stamped serial numbers like that.
I like your take on it. Thanks! I have no reason to believe it’s not original anyway.

Back