When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'85 King of Mercia

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Put in a new Phil bottom bracket yesterday, and I think she's finished at last.
The old BB had enough freeplay, it made you think the rear wheel was loose.
Knocked out a good-paced 25+ miles today on the Leon Creek Greenway.
Took along my 6-mm allen and rotated the bars at stops to find the right balance on the hoods between hook and palm.
ZG9qfmp.jpg

adding a ps here - if you've got an old, cantankerous BB with no hope of finding a NOS wear-free spindle, Phil cartridge BB offers all these thread-cup options:

Capture.JPG
1648813355374.png
1648813421817.png

Last edited:
On the build stand for a final blue vanity touch - titanium chainring bolts.
...and gave the chainrings the cleaning they deserved - they're in really good shape, and good thing - both the 45T 110mm-bcd half-step mid, and 32T 58mm-bcd granny are hens' teeth.

mwLpsUY.jpg

adding a ps about the titanium dust cover, which came from Toronto Cycles years ago - I tried contacting Toronto Cycles through their website for these bolts, and never got a reply - even though their website will send you to a paypal invoice, I don't think they're posting to US.
The titanium chainring bolts came from a US machine shop, 3act in Dayton NJ, selling on ebay - and they're quality - 6-mm Allen on the nuts, and 5-mm Allen on the bolts.

Last edited:
Update on this bike, first my favorite Salado Creek Greenway photo
OU9O2z5.jpg

There was still a shock in the front fork that caused me pain on sharp bumps, and especially Sunday morning St. Marys St. construction.
I took a rubber moll to the fork and head on the build stand, looking for noise. Finally found it in the lower headset race.
Plus, I could feel the slightest rock in the fork. Decided worn-out lower race in the headset.

I bought the IRC TechnoGlide, Andy had a good price at Modern Bike, and always great service - sealed Tange bearings - round ball, this bike doesn't need needle bearings. Shock and pain problem solved.
Freaking Howard would not charge me to install it when I picked it up. But Bob's Miyata Univega was there - his Spirt FD had a broken parallelogram,
So I donated the one that came on my daughter's Team Fuji and wouldn't work with the 9sp and low-Q Mighty Comp Crank (I used Ultegra).
It was stored safe in a cigar box in the garage, and was in the 2nd box I checked.

Haven't been posting, life's been nuts, but been getting in long rides with a friend training for MS150 next month, and easy 100 mi weeks, even with with my taxed schedule.
Show and Tell
Added one last vanity part, Titanium bottle cage from Agave Finish Works in Boulder - one reason I love titanium on this bike, the blued color exactly matches the paint tint.
1692666 1692667

Last edited:
Back