When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold !896 Ladies Iver Johnson - fully restored to the highest standard.

-
Price
$3,700.00
Zipcode

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
This 1896 Ladies Iver Johnson's complte restoration was completed a few months ago with the intention of consigning it to the up-coming Copake Bicycle Auction but complicated (for me) logistics in getting the bike to the auction site have made me think better of it so I'm offering it for sale both here and on EBAY. I find though that EBAY'S limit of 12 pictures in their ads put seller at a disadvantage particularly when listings are for items that can only be fully appreciated with multiple pictures showing all important details in clear, concise, expandible images. In my view The Cabe venue offers both buyers and sellers the chance to more closely examine products they might consider purchasing. So here are some details on the bike and it's restoration: the bike is one of the eariest of Iver Johnson's single tube safeties model. Ther is no doubt about when the bike was produced since it's headbadge is unique to 1896 and features a Porcelin disc insert with the word "Fitchburg" emblazened in it center; Fitchburg is the Massachusetts town where the I.J. Arms & Cycle Works was located. The restoration replicates the original gloss black finish on both frame and fork with 8 coats of Lacquor detailed in the original fine-line gold pinstiping. Much of the bikes brightwork has been re-nickel plated and polished; the Maple rear fender ( from Stuzmans Wheel Shop) has been laced in the original pattern to keep the ladies ankle length skirts out of the spokes. The Maple rims are original to the bike and have been stripped to bare wood, stained and given multiple clear-coats; they have been re-laced with S.S. double butted spokes fit into 1" Nickel plated nipples and the rims trued before being fit with a pair of brand new, 28" x 1-3/4" smooth tread single tube tires made by R.D. Tire Co. in West Virginia inflated to 45 psi. The original Pedals are a work of art and were a factory option in lieu of the standard pedals. The Christie Saddle was likely and option installed by the original I.J. Dealership ( it shows the saddles Patent Date as 1897). Unique and extremely rare is the bike's front wheel hand brake system manufactured by the Duck Brake Company and also liklely installed by the dealer since it too shows an 1897 Pattent Date. The Nickel Plated thumb actuated bell, the Twentieth Century oil head lamp, and the front fork foot rests were also likely dealer installed. The Cork handgrip, made by Wheelman Charlie Matteo, are very close to the originals except for the Nickel end cap (the originals seem to have been stamped in brass). The original frame mounted Iver Johnson tool kit was really beyond salvaging, at least for functioning tool storage, it was made to look functional but is not due to being fit with an internal shaped block to bring back it's original shape so it should be considered "for display only".....it's cover flap is clearly stamped.

with the Iver Johnson name and address.1689112

DSCN4155.JPG

DSCN4150.JPG

DSCN4163.JPG

DSCN4168.JPG

DSCN4175.JPG

DSCN4172.JPG

DSCN4173.JPG

DSCN4174.JPG

DSCN4214.JPG

DSCN4244.JPG

DSCN4242.JPG

DSCN4229.JPG

DSCN4235.JPG

DSCN4207.JPG

DSCN4145.JPG

DSCN4147.JPG

DSCN4146.JPG

DSCN4106.JPG

DSCN4115.JPG

DSCN4116.JPG

I thought you were taking a break from restoration work Dick? I'm glad to see to see that you restored another bike, what a beauty, your attention to detail is impressive, I love the break system, plating and the box pins! GLWTS!

-mike

This is one gorgeous looking and very early Iver.........................just for the sake of accuracy (and not that it really matters that much), this is an 1897 model. The 1896 had a very different badge. Pete in Fitchburg

This is one gorgeous looking and very early Iver.........................just for the sake of accuracy (and not that it really matters that much), this is an 1897 model. The 1896 had a very different badge. Pete in Fitchburg
Pete, I believe we spoke on the phone about 4 or 5 months ago when I inquired if I might purchase the I.J. "Fitchburg" head badge that you had a nice clear picture of on your website. Your answe, sadly, was that it was not for sale. My hand written notes from that conversation indicate that you told me the "Fitchburg" head badge was used only on the 1896 model and that the 1897 model of the same bicycle used the same badge, including a porcelin disc; however the word Fitchburg on the disc was replaced for 1897 with the words "Iver Johnson". It now appeard that I may have mixed up or juxtaposed the dates as I wrote my notes. Accepting that I made an error it was made honestly based on my knowing I was talking to someone that clearly was extremely well versed and knowledgeable in all things "early Iver Johnson Bicycles" which lead me to believe the bicycle I was restoring was, in fact, priduced in 1896. Believing that to be true I chose to forego my usual diligence in using the bicycle serial number (found on the bottom of the bikes crank hanger) and which I've included a picture of in my ad/posting. Thinking you may have in your collection of Iver Johnson bicycles a record of the companies yearly serial/production numbers to more precisely date this bike? As we discussed on the phone, the original headbadge attached to the bike had a slight damage to the letter ""F in the word Fitchburg imbedded in the Porcelin. I was able to find a Jeweler/craftesperson in Palm Beach that undertook to repair the damage and while it is not absolutely perfect I am very satisfied with her work Thankyou for your kind scomment. Regards,

Dick Rath

I thought you were taking a break from restoration work Dick? I'm glad to see to see that you restored another bike, what a beauty, your attention to detail is impressive, I love the break system, plating and the box pins! GLWTS!

-mike
Mike, I did take an extended break from my restoration work after doing some serious damge to my left rotator cuff in a rather crazy fall. This I.J is the second restoration since I decided to resume the fun. I'm afraid it all happens now at a slower pace but remains every bit as satisfying. Thanks for your comments. The Duck Brake is rare to say the least; my guess is that it's real benefit was that it's much kinder to the contact suface of the front tire;.......that and it seems more efficient than the much more common spoon-pad . Regards, Dick

Hi Dick,
Yes, I do remember the conversation we had. If I would have had an extra "Fitchburg" badge I may have entertained selling it, but the only Fitchburg porcelain badges I have are on the actual bikes I own. A few years back I put this poster together to help narrow down some of the Iver years. I do have an 1896 Ladies Iver in kind of rough condition. It's serial number is 32174. Pete in Fitchburg

Back