When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!939 Mercury Pacemaker

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cptnhwdy69

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello,I was wondering if anyone had any info on this 1939 Mercury Pacemaker,I picked up this past week.It has been previously restored and is actually kinda nice,but I was thinking about a repaint.It has a metal,1939 detroit,bicycle,license plate on it as well.Weird thing is every pacemaker I have seen images of,the tank has lights attached to the front,so I was wondering if there may have been 2 models of this bike?I was also wondering if this is a desirable or collectable bike,these days.Also,would this bike have came with painted or chrome rims?Mine are painted,but I am pretty sure I can see chrome underneath on a chipped part.Thx=]
995281_10152202467288586_1770235970_n.jpg
1012261_10152202468643586_1043302476_n.jpg

Very nice; desirable, yes. There are lit tank and non-lit versions so that is correct too. A repaint definitely wouldn't hurt. The restorer went a little overboard with the two-tone. And paint is cheaper than chrome, so that explains the rims. There have definitely been worse crimes against bicycles than that one though.

One big thing to help future value, if you're planning on painting it anyway, would be to do all the research you can and paint it in a correct color scheme and correct details. Good luck; nice bike!

The fenders on your Pacemaker are incorrect. Correct Pacemaker fenders come to a sharp point at the front. Yours has Elgin fenders which are very similar in style in that they mount over the fork and have a ridge in the middle, but the front point is rounded. Whoever restored this probably built it up from parts, and they couldn't get original fenders as they are very hard to find. The Elgin fenders make a nice alternative however, and would fool most anybody who didn't know these bikes as well as some of us here do. Great looking bike, don't change a thing!

The restorer went a little overboard with the two-tone. One big thing to help future value, if you're planning on painting it anyway, would be to do all the research you can and paint it in a correct color scheme and correct details. Good luck; nice bike!

Much as I hate to agree with ANYONE, jpromo continues to rock the boat, as I find myself in agreement with him yet again.

39 Mercury pacemaker

I looked at the front fender and it actually does come to a point,but for some reason is kinda bent under a bit and was straightened back out.If you look at this add pic I posted.the color scheme is actually close.I dont understand why he used the maroon.I can see a touch of red under where the blue is chipped so either its primer or old red paint.It has the ruby style rear,glass reflector on the rack.Tank and headshroud are made of metal and not fiberglass,so I am being told they are original.The front western Flyer ornament,I dont think is original as I have seen most with the mercury style ornament or a torpedo light maybe on the models with no lights in the tank.I am thinking.Kinda makes sense lol.This bike has the integrated seat clamp which is part of the bike and not attached on,so maybe this is a sign of an early pacemaker being 39?I think it has Torrington pedals on it and I have seen some with the teardrop reflector pedals,so maybe being the lower model,Torrington may be original?I paid a decent,but not to much for this bike,so I am kinda hoping I made a good investment,lol.I would think not to many of these were sold as the war was going and stuff.but not to sure.thx=]This model I have posted even looks deiff as to me it looks like there is a light on the front fender and doesnt look like there is light in the tank.
121235-1.jpg

I have a 40 lit tank model. The fender is original to it. Also the Elgin twinn look similar but there is a difference. Elgins have the edge folded down and not as sharp of a point. I post a pic of it it's in red an d the merc is maroon. Wow 87.50! For one.

Last edited:
Back