When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A $40 Schwinn Varsity / Questions

-

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
20180817_191852.jpeg

I bought this 1972 Schwinn Varsity with the intention of using it for parts for my suburban. I picked it last night, and didn't see all the details . I thought it would have been a F-3 freewheel and French hubs. Nope, it has Schwinn Approved Model 71 ( Made in Japan ) hubs and a Schwinn Approved Model J freewheel. Of course, I don't have the correct Freewheel removal tool for that particular one
Questions:
1) Are the Model 71 hubs any better than French ones? Or are there any real differences at all.

2) What Freewheel tool is use to remove the model J? Is it Park Tool FR-4?

Also I found that it was actually a 24, not 26 inch frame as advertised. I made a few quick fixes and took it for a spin. With the exception of the flaw front tire ( you ca see it near the valve ) , it's comfortable and rode very nice .

Well , so much for a parts bike, I guess I got another keeper. I blame my BHD ( Bicycle Hoarding Disorder ).

Thanks

Note that the F2 freewheel came out in mid-'73 and the F3 freewheel came out in late '75
Thanks,
I do stand corrected, I just checked the freewheel on my '73 Varsity...it is a F-2...I don't know why I thought it was a F-3. I guess I'm Just going crazy. I know the removal tool was $27.

Back