When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A '55 Typhoo

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This stray followed me home yesterday. Wasn't planning on buying another bike right now (where have I heard THAT before?), but I'd been wanting a red Typhoon or an American, so I figured it couldn't hurt to at least take a look, especially since it had been posted for sale for quite a while, figured maybe the seller would be open to a deal. It had been listed for over two months on my local OfferUp as a "1955 Typhoo", which meant that my seller probably didn't know anything about the bike, and the fact that he'd never bothered to correct his typo meant that he didn't really care either. I was right on both points. As it turns out, the bike is a '78, and it's obviously got the wrong seat, handlebars, pedals, and crankset; but take a look closer and that's not a flamboyant red fork, so that's been swapped out as well, and look even closer, and why do those fenders look so big, and why do they have no rust? They're stainless steel, and you can just make out the outline of a long-gone teardrop reflector on the rear fender, so they came off of what, a Jaguar? A Panther?

Gave it a good cleaning, installed a more appropriate set of bars, and swapped out the crappy blackwalls for a set of Westwind whitewalls I had laying around, and oh what a difference. At least the Westwinds fill up the fenders a bit better now. I'll eventually swap out the bottom bracket, but it rides really nice as it is, so we'll wait to do an overhaul until later. Now I just need to find some stainless steel polish.

thumbnail_IMG_8292.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8291.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8300.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8310.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8308.jpg

The fork might be original to the bike and just painted. I like that Huffy "Atom" chain ring, looks good on a Schween. 🙃 Those SS fenders look like 1963 issue and later. The Jag and Corvette were the only models that had SS.

Back