When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.A. Hansen The "Rainmaker" Track tandem Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
A.A. Hansen was a well known bicycle and motorcycle racer and distance rider in his day but for whatever reason history has not been kind to him.

This is basically the "as found" archive of this double diamond track tandem that was built by Hansen, possibly even raced by Hansen?

I know at least one of his bicycles has survived (posted here some time ago) and remains in the Minneapolis area, I believe it has been accessioned to a museum at this point but not positive.

This important machine has been abused and misunderstood but I intend to correct all that.
Needs a bit of brass braising removed which shouldn't be a big deal, I have a great deal of the gear that it is missing but the only hurdle I face will be a nice sealed bottom bracket and crank for the stoker- it should be a D&J but has been swapped out to stay on the road with a make-shift welded G&J setup.

I believe the rear hub is original, laced into a modern rim so that is a blessing. The low-rake fork is awesome and super heavy duty. Very reminiscent of the Orient fork crown design but I will save that visual comparison for a future post to not muddy the water at this point.

I have an excellent set of period handlebars for both the captain and stoker in a profile I love, stoker set should be mounted to the seatpost which I will have corrected shortly.
A good badge rubbing will be in the future as well, just working on paper options etc.

I will include a couple mentions I have dug up on Hansen, his name is all over the record books of the late 19th and early 20th century alongside other big names we all know like Taylor, Bald, Kramer.

Very much looking forward to this project and any information any other valued members of the CABE can bring forward.

I hope you all get a bit of a break this holiday season to take some time with a favorite bicycle project and gets your hands dirty.

Rainmaker tandem.jpg

Rainmaker head on.jpg

Rainmaker1.jpg

Rainmaker2.jpg

Rainmaker3.jpg

AA Hansen Rain mention.jpg

AA Hansen mention in The Motor.jpg

1901 St Paul Tribune AA Hansen Mention.jpg

From references below it appears Rainmaker Bicycles were made 1900-1902.

March 3, 1900 - The Cycle Age & Trade Review

February 2, 1901 - Star Tribune (Minneapolis MN)

March 24, 1901 - Star Tribune (Minneapolis MN)

April 5, 1901 - Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis MN)

May 30, 1901 - Star Tribune (Minneapolis MN)

December 2, 1901 - Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis MN)

March 14, 1902 - Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis MN)

May 18, 1902 - Star Tribune (Minneapolis MN)

June 20, 1902 - Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis MN)

Selected pages from 1902 D & J Catalog:

January 7, 1903 - Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis MN)

July 27, 1929 - The Boston Globe (Boston MA)

A little progress report -

The Rainmaker is currently at the body shop having that partial stem that was globbed onto the top tube removed; my fear is they likely compromised the tube when they added it so I'm sure it will need a bit of additional work but my buddy is well suited to handle proper.

The stoker crankset is braised in place also, hopefully by removing the glob on the end of the spindle I will be able to remove it and start the process of reconstructing the appropriate stoker crank setup.

He is also working on re-pointing a pedal axle and modifying a set of bars both intended for the Rainmaker ultimately.

I have a few sets of seatpost mount bars to play with, I think a game of musical bars is in order soon between a number of my partially re-cobbled tandems and triplets to find the best possible fits across the board.

If anyone has any loose tandem hardware in the stash let me know, I've got my work cut out for me this winter ;)

Back