When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Bicycle Book: "Early Cycle Lighting... 1868-1948 by Peter W. Card

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dbubbleguy

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Came across a really fantastic bicycle book- "Early Cycle Lighting; 1868-1948" by Peter W. Card. It takes you from oil/paraffin/kerosene lamps, candle lamps, carbide lamps, to electric bike lights. It has an amazing selection of photos of bikes and lights. I bought the book on the UK Ebay but have found out that it is also available on AMAZON. Be warned: this is a very expensive book (out of print). I only justified buying it as a birthday present for my 71st birthday. But it is worth every penny (make that dollar). 1st photo is the bottom half of the front cover. The 2nd photo is from the back cover... can you imagine this on your ride?
Bike Lamps.jpeg

Bike Light.jpeg

Sounds like it could be a neat book. Will look into it. Thanks for posting..

I just checked what this is going for on AMAZON... $1,716.99. That's about 7 times what I paid on the UK Ebay. Glad I didn't wait until my 72nd birthday. I had done a search on The Cabe to see if anything had been posted on this book but nothing showed up. However, once I posted another posting from 2019 showed up by Velo-dream (from Belgium) offering a copy for $300.00. Don't know if it is still available.

Last edited:
Great book.
Mr Card certainly knows his stuff, he runs the highly respected Transport Collector Auctions company over here.
The copy you mentioned above looks like it's still for sale at the moment @Dbubbleguy.

The Dutch bicycle museum Velorame did have some copies for sale some months ago.
I have send them a mail to ask if they still have them , and if shipping to the USA is possible and what the price would be.
I will let you now

Hopefully this year will be the release of Peters next book about the Lucas company.

Back