When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Birmingham-built Phillips

-

bthoff

Look Ma, No Hands!
Today's acquisition was a Birmingham-built Phillips cruiser in that cool orange-gold color. Gonna stick with white saddle, white pedals, white cables for the clean up. And I'll put the shift cable in the right place....🙄
IMG_20220611_183256996.jpg

IMG_20220611_183313198.jpg

That looks to me to be a mixed Nottingham/Birmingham bike from the transitional period of Phillips.
I wouldn't doubt it. Head badge is Birmingham but it's super similar to Nottingham bikes I have seem under the Phillips label. 333 hub though. That surprised me. For $25 I can't really lose.

-----

I wouldn't doubt it. Head badge is Birmingham but it's super similar to Nottingham bikes I have seem under the Phillips label. 333 hub though. That surprised me. For $25 I can't really lose.

---

the stern hub from Yoshi was the first thing which caught me eye
would think cycle may predate issuance of Yoshi planetaries

do the rims match?

front five-piece steel hub appears to wear a zinc finish - be that correct?

-----

I have a set of very clean Nottingham wheels of similar age with a recently rebuilt Sturmey Hub. I might swap them in.

That sounds like a plan. I suspect that Shimano hub was swapped in to start with.
You were correct. When I went to pull the wheels it was immediately clear the axel nuts were stripped beyond recognition and the dropouts had been forced apart to fit these wheels. The frame also had some damage that wasn't obvious on initial inspection. The bike sadly ended its life as an organ donor to other projects.

You were correct. When I went to pull the wheels it was immediately clear the axel nuts were stripped beyond recognition and the dropouts had been forced apart to fit these wheels. The frame also had some damage that wasn't obvious on initial inspection. The bike sadly ended its life as an organ donor to other projects.
Stripped axle nuts could get somebody hurt, at least you caught it before somebody found it the hard way!

Back