When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A brief history of vintage bicycle swap meets

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mr.cycleplane

Riding my Motorbike
Have you ever wondered about when the first vintage bicycle swap meet was? How long have there been vintage bike collectors? We know about Memory Lane Classics or the Ann Arbor meet. The Whizz-ins in southern California or the Iron Ranch meet. And there are many more-some now gone. But what was the first official vintage Bicycle swap meet? You'd be surprised to know that it took place at a very appropriate place for such an event.....the parking lot of the Schwinn Bicycle factory in september of 1981. It was put on by none other than Leon Dixon. I am going to start this thread off with that event and would like to know about other meets throughout the country that were bicycle specific swap meets. I know that in some areas there are great car meets and bikes show up there but what i would like to see here is maybe bike only
thumbnail_CBCA1981LD001%20copy.jpg

meets that happened and maybe a flyer copy(if you still have one laying around). A picture that captures the flavor of the meet(don't want a ton-we can always go back through cabe archives for more!)would be nice. Current and meets that no longer happen-a small narrative appreciated.

Back in the late 80's a fellow named Jerry Germeau put on a swap meet a little south of Seattle on Military Road in Kent Washington. I think Jerry might have been a sheriff or something like that? He was really into J.C. Higgins bicycles and sold me several parts including a Batwing Headlight. It was a great swap meet, but eventually it went a away. Barry
1570569795375.jpeg

oldbikeswap Seattle 20110.jpg

Last edited:
Yes-I remember those and was at several of the 'armoury' meets! Those were great meets.
Back in the late 80's a fellow named Jerry Germeau put on a swap meet a little south of Seattle on Military Road in Kent Washington. I think Jerry might have been a sheriff or something like that? He was really into J.C. Higgins bicycles and sold me several parts including a Batwing Headlight. It was a great swap meet, but eventually it went a away. Barry

View attachment 1075474

I vaguely remember one that I went to a couple of times. It was held at the Armory on 33rd off Marine Drive in Portland, OR. like maybe 30-35 years ago??? Does anyone else remember those swap meets?

Last edited:
I did a few shows with Eddie Boros in the 80's.Getting there early ,setting up and sleeping in the van. Early setups always paid off because most good deals were made before doors opened.One show the police were called in because somebody stole a Phantom rear light off a table during the night.

Back