When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A brief history of vintage bicycle swap meets

-
Regarding the 1981 Bicycle Swap in Chicago mentioned in the first post in this thread, I was lucky enough to be there. I believe two early Chicago area collectors did a great deal of the work to arrange this swap, visit to the factory, and visit to the Schwinn collection. These two collectors seldom get any mention or credit so they are Bill Farrell and Tom Bartholomew.

I vaguely remember one that I went to a couple of times. It was held at the Armory on 33rd off Marine Drive in Portland, OR. like maybe 30-35 years ago??? Does anyone else remember these swap meets?
Boriseye remember going thar...went with bob keindel about 1992???

As I have some background on this meet and who did what I must make some corrections to the above statement by 'schwinnderella'. Leon Dixon put the meet on by himself. He paid for the advertising in the 'Chicago Sun Times' by himself. Bill Farrell made a few phones calls to help pave the way with Schwinn. Most was co-ordinated with Keith Kingbay-who ran the Excelsior line at the factory. Leon spent three weeks in the Chicago area co-ordinating this meet and stayed as a guest in the home of Bill Farrell(believe Bill is still around-could confirm?). A list of collectors in the Chicago area was given to Tom Bartholomew to start a club in the area by Leon. Tom had nothing to do with the meet other than to show up. All credit for the meet's success was given in follow up newsletters put out by Leon. I am sure both are fine individuals and I mean no disrespect. After all it has been 38 since the meet and things may be a little blurred. To schwinnderella I have confirmed my information with the ultimate source....the guy who put the meet on! But that is fantastic that you were able to attend such a 'monumental' piece of bicycle history!

Last edited:
The 40th Anniversary of the Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet will be a two day show April 25 and 26th 2020. My wife Annie and I have been the sponsors of what is now the largest vintage bike show in the world for 37 years.. We have done this with our close group of volunteers since 1984 for everyone to enjoy. Guess what, We could care less about who wants to take credit for being the first. We have been the leaders of the biggest, oldest and best, "with the help of Lisa Trombley of Memory Lane", Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet in the World and that's all that matters.

Attached is the flyer presented to Annie and I by Leo Chouinard and posthumously from my old buddy Jim Hurd years ago.

Do the math.

Paul and Anne Kleppert and all our volunteers

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

As I have some background on this meet and who did what I must make some corrections to the above statement by 'schwinnderella'. Leon Dixon put the meet on by himself. He paid for the advertising in the 'Chicago Sun Times' by himself. Bill Farrell made a few phones calls to help pave the way with Schwinn. Most was co-ordinated with Keith Kingbay-who ran the Excelsior line at the factory. Leon spent three weeks in the Chicago area co-ordinating this meet and stayed as a guest in the home of Bill Farrell(believe Bill is still around-could confirm?). A list of collectors in the Chicago area was given to Tom Bartholomew to start a club in the area by Leon. Tom had nothing to do with the meet other than to show up. All credit for the success was given in follow up newsletters put out by Leon. I am sure both are fine individuals and I mean no disrespect. After all it has been 38 since the meet and things may be a little blurred. To schwinnderella I have confirmed my information with the ultimate source....the guy who put the meet on! But that is fantastic that you were able to attend such a 'monumental' piece of bicycle history!

For sure my memory is not what it used to be, and you are likely right about Tom's contribution. I do recall that Leon thanked Bill Farrell and Keith Kingbay in his newsletter so I thought Bill deserved mention. I believe both Tom and Bill are still around last I heard.

The 40th Anniversary of the Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet will be a two day show April 25 and 26th 2020. My wife Annie and I have been the sponsors of what is now the largest vintage bike show in the world for 37 years.. We have done this with our close group of volunteers since 1984 for everyone to enjoy. Guess what, We could care less about who wants to take credit for being the first. We have been the leaders of the biggest, oldest and best, "with the help of Lisa Trombley of Memory Lane", Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet in the World and that's all that matters.

Attached is the flyer presented to Annie and I by Leo Chouinard and posthumously from my old buddy Jim Hurd years ago.

Do the math.

Paul and Anne Kleppert and all our volunteers

View attachment 1075731

View attachment 1075732

View attachment 1075736
Awesome! Think about it...40 years and still going strong! Incredible. The flyer now qualifies as an antique! Congrats and best wishes for another 40 years of meets!

This is very true-the Wheelman (League of American Wheelman comes to mind!)have been around long before balloon tire bikes* were even thought of! (*perhaps the most widely collected-not excluding racer-bmx-mountain types here!) Although I think it was more a gathering of riders and skill competitions and probably not a swap meet! But definitely part of our hobby! Thanks

Back