When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A brief history of vintage bicycle swap meets

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Bicycles and pedal cars are always a big hit at car shows! They provide a subtle distraction from the rows of restored autos. Even when not 'judged' are of interest to all age groups.

Definitely! My bikes out-showed the Corvette I was parked next to about three weeks ago!

We’re fortunate to have one of the most consistent and longest running monthly motorcycle/bicycle swap meets in the country. It doesn’t really have a show contingent per se’ but to walk around the bike corral is definitely a show of what the areas most prolific bike builders have been up to.
It’s hit or miss, as most swaps tend to be, but some great stuff has been known to be had here from time to time.
CE759F9E-4E79-493F-B308-B41B41080B62.jpeg

BF2E2FE2-AD46-40B8-A88C-7D1D94564417.jpeg

I vaguely remember one that I went to a couple of times. It was held at the Armory on 33rd off Marine Drive in Portland, OR. like maybe 30-35 years ago??? Does anyone else remember those swap meets?
Cant say I remember those shows.

You are right CYCLINGDAY that meet started as a few guys selling bike parts at a predominately car show and now has blossomed into a real monthly meet for bike treasure! Sorta like your "Pomona car swap meet'. There are probably great car meets with bikes showing up. I am not hearing about any swaps south of the Mason/Dixon line-c'mon guys-stop keeping it a secret!

Last edited:
There are lots of reasons bike meets come and go. I put on the Simonian Farms Mid-Valley Whizz-in. It was a two day event-ride one day/swap the next. Did it for 4 years and had a health scare so passed the ball to another. They ran it into the ground and it died after a year. Its a lot of work and time-and money to make it happen. Meets don't die due to a lack of interest.

Just wanted to say thank you for putting on the Simonian Farms event. Didn’t know it was you. Very cool! Back in my younger days when I first got into the bikes in the early 90’s this was the event of the year for me and my friends!!! I bought a Whizzer because of that event. Sadly it’s gone and I have no one to ride with. :(

Thank you Chris! It was a fun meet-if I lived anywhere near Fresno i'd ask them to put on a '25th Anniversary Mid Valley Whizz-in'. Maybe someone can carry on that meet?

This is very true-the Wheelman (League of American Wheelman comes to mind!)have been around long before balloon tire bikes* were even thought of! (*perhaps the most widely collected-not excluding racer-bmx-mountain types here!) Although I think it was more a gathering of riders and skill competitions and probably not a swap meet! But definitely part of our hobby! Thanks
Wheelmen meets always had a swap meet as part of the activities -from the very start Thank you

Wheelmen meets always had a swap meet as part of the activities -from the very start Thank you
I've always known there are wheelmen (toc collectors)out there but have never heard of one of their meets or rides. I know they happen-would be kinda interesting as I am fascinated with mechanical things! Got any pictures of their meets?

Well ran into a few of those Socal pioneers yesterday at a Motorcycle meet ( 42nd annual ) including Doc Gibson & PeeWee who both had great show/swaps at their business in the 80's. I was going to post this picture in another section ( would have taken more pics if I knew about this thread ) of PeeWee ( who moved on from bikes to motorcycles & cars ) with his Wagner. there were many bike swaps around back then including Jim Baileys in Signal Hill and a few in HB, the bike shop on main & a old house on a big lot?
View attachment 1078443

Good to see a photo of Pee Wee! I grew up in the same neighborhood as Pee Wee, was pumping gas as a 16 year old (1980) in Garden Grove and he would slide in on one of his many Whizzers to gas up and I was always impressed and in awe. I was already into vintage bikes and he shows up on one with a motor! We would talk and soon enough he invited me to his house, gave me the tour and then we went for a ride on two of his Whizzers. It was the first and only time I ever rode one, I I never forgot the thrill of it. I then saw him around at meets for several years. I believe he had a Wire EDM business. He is such a nice guy... I do remember Doc Gibson as well. What motorcycle meet was that? @mrg

Last edited:
Back