When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A brief history of vintage bicycle swap meets

-
I hope this works , took a video of Alan Shermans back in October 4th 1992 .Not much of a bike swap but some really cool stuff to look at . There is a cool clip towards the end of Alan and his brother starting up a 1911 International and driving it. Could not get it to post here ,says the file to big ..If you cant see it here check the SKIDKINGS FACEBOOK SITE

Last edited:
Here is an interesting picture just sent to me from Leon Dixon from his archives. Its of the very First National Classical Bicycle Collectors meet held at the Schwinn factory in Sept of 1981! Are you in the picture? Looks like a few aren't with us anymore. Chime in if you are in the picture.

Last edited:
A CHICAGO MEET WOULD BE GREAT!
I ATTENDED ONE AT THE SCHWINN OFFICE BUILDING NEAR THE OLD CHICAGO CYCLE BUILDING THAT HOUSED THE SCHWINN FAMILY COLLECTION IN 1991. BELIEVE JIM HURD SET THAT ONE U P. AND AFTER WE WERE INVITED CYCLE SMITHY AKA MARK MATEI TO SEE HIS COLLECTION AT HIS HOME AND GARAGE.

Here is an interesting picture just sent to me from Leon Dixon from his archives. Its of the very First National Classical Bicycle Collectors meet held at the Schwinn factory in Sept of 1981! Are you in the picture? Looks like a few aren't with us anymore. Chime in if you are in the picture.View attachment 1197279
I'm in the photo - back row 9th. from the left. My friend Steve U. is in the back row 7th. from the left. My brother Denny is in the back row 17th. from the left.

Regarding the 1981 Bicycle Swap in Chicago mentioned in the first post in this thread, I was lucky enough to be there. I believe two early Chicago area collectors did a great deal of the work to arrange this swap, visit to the factory, and visit to the Schwinn collection. These two collectors seldom get any mention or credit so they are Bill Farrell and Tom Bartholomew.
Leon Dixon put it on.

Back