When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A cheap little trick I have been using when cutting cables

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm sure we have all run into the annoyance when cutting cables, and had them unravel on us.

Prior to cutting a break or derailleur cable I put a few drops of super glue on the area to be cut, and wipe off the extra with a paper towel. I then use a dremmel cutting wheel to make a nice clean cut. The super glue prevents it from unraveling on me. (I have a park tool made for this, but the dremmel works better). I also use the dremmel to cut housing.

If your using new cables you probably don't have to worry about this happening, but I sometimes reuse cables that are in nice condition and this allows me to easily feed previously cut cables back though the housing, Sometimes after the cable is cut, I add another drop back on to the end. And then when its time to crimp a end cap on, another drop gets put on before the cap is added.

The process ends up saving me some time.

Last edited:
Good cable cutters help too.
cable_cutter.jpg

I brush clean the area to be cut, brush on soldering flux, heat and solder the cutting area. I use silver solder. This makes a very strong, unbreakable cable end, that never unravels...

I have some Klein dykes I've been using for a long time that chop cables no problem.

To me, that's the best trick. Use good cutters and you have no problems.

Krazy glue is a great thing, though. If you ever wrap exhaust pipes with header wrap, squirt a line of krazy glue on it, cut with scissors, and it never frays.

Just get good cable cutters- they are a lot faster than a Dremel. And they cut the housing cleanly too. BUT- if you are cutting a couple of cables a year and have a Dremel it works just fine. Dykes aren't really made to cut hardened steel, but they are so well made they work well. Cheap side cutters are a whole different thing.

Back