When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Christmas gift from a bike guy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Drosentreter

I live for the CABE
Welp, my brother has always been very “bikes are dumb, idk why you collect them, they are a waste of your time when you have cars to work on” but I have made a believer out of him. I fixed up a 1975 Schwinn Conti for my uncle, and took it to the Illinois State Fairgrounds for the ATHS truck show to test it out. I probably put 10 miles on the bike just riding around the grounds looking at the trucks(I was having a blast because I live with a 1/4 mile rock driveway that leads onto a highway, not ideal biking to say the least, so it was nice to ride on pavement free of traffic) It wasn’t until the last day of the show when we had to walk 1/4 mile back to the vehicle that I convinced him to ride it, and it actually took his girlfriend saying, “Why don’t you at least ride it back to the car?” She has much more leverage than I do of course so he agreed. He took off and left us in the dust, and came flying back to tell us he’d never ridden a bike so fast in his life, and that he felt like he could just go faster and faster and never really top out. Around a week later he casually said “yk I wouldn’t mind having a bike like that to ride” Game on. Now I’ve got to find a 10 speed for him, and for my even older brother as to not leave him out(middle brother age 21, older 25) so I found the perfect 2, a tall frame Yellow Conti for the middle brother, and a standard 22” Campus Green Varsity for my older brother. Well then I needed one for my dad so I found him one that needed paint so I could color match it to the truck we did together. Here’s where the story begins(ya, I know. I’m also surprised you made it this far). So my middle brother comes home and sees the 3 bikes, and asks about them. “Two of them are mine and the other 1 is dads” which he bought, but he still felt the need to remind me that he’d like to have one if I find one(perfect, I’ll give it to him for Xmas). So he looks at the green one and says “that’s a pretty color, I’d like one like that” “ya but that one is already spoken for, sorry.” So he says “That yellow one is a nice bike, but it’s kinda ugly, like riding on a banana” so there goes that plan. So he continues to send me 10 speed Schwinns everywhere he sees one for sale, and finally finds one reasonable, and it’s on my way somewhere so I pick it up. Waaaaaay worse condition than it had been advertised. So whatever I’ll paint it the color of his 70 Camaro! Next time he is home he sees one of the 2 frames that I had sandblasted(both already needed paint don’t kill me) and so I told him the plan for my dads bike, and the color match. He says “ya. That will look nice in that color, but I don’t think I would want one the color of my Camaro, it’s too bright of a blue for a bike” ughhhhhh strike 2 for me. So I painted them both the color of my truck, and polished and bought tires, and made them mint perfect brand new. So I wasn’t able to get them all polished and finished for Christmas, but at least enough I could display them all and let them pic. So my middle brother chose naturally a different Campus Green tall frame Varsity, and my oldest brother chose the other one color matched to my truck. They were thrilled, and actually really excited to get one. So here is my dads bike in progress, and I’ll get some finished pics, with pictures of my brothers bikes to follow when I get them done. (handle bar tape is Stressful!)

1C756726-1267-4953-860D-F82A728FB227.jpeg

476590EF-2C94-4AE2-AC14-EAB24B57572B.jpeg

EE157B7D-635F-4A86-97E8-4C58CD4D4DF4.jpeg

396EC5F3-01AC-4F0D-B83A-A03E4E854667.jpeg

E1B6859D-3CAA-403C-A1CE-E0AAD82E92F9.jpeg

B17FFED2-3FE7-47B6-BDF5-60C622ECDBF3.jpeg

Very nice! What brand bar tape is that? It looks almost like the old Hunt Wilde Flexon/Schwinn tape with maybe a slight difference in texture.

Welp, my brother has always been very “bikes are dumb, idk why you collect them, they are a waste of your time when you have cars to work on” but I have made a believer out of him. I fixed up a 1975 Schwinn Conti for my uncle, and took it to the Illinois State Fairgrounds for the ATHS truck show to test it out. I probably put 10 miles on the bike just riding around the grounds looking at the trucks(I was having a blast because I live with a 1/4 mile rock driveway that leads onto a highway, not ideal biking to say the least, so it was nice to ride on pavement free of traffic) It wasn’t until the last day of the show when we had to walk 1/4 mile back to the vehicle that I convinced him to ride it, and it actually took his girlfriend saying, “Why don’t you at least ride it back to the car?” She has much more leverage than I do of course so he agreed. He took off and left us in the dust, and came flying back to tell us he’d never ridden a bike so fast in his life, and that he felt like he could just go faster and faster and never really top out. Around a week later he casually said “yk I wouldn’t mind having a bike like that to ride” Game on. Now I’ve got to find a 10 speed for him, and for my even older brother as to not leave him out(middle brother age 21, older 25) so I found the perfect 2, a tall frame Yellow Conti for the middle brother, and a standard 22” Campus Green Varsity for my older brother. Well then I needed one for my dad so I found him one that needed paint so I could color match it to the truck we did together. Here’s where the story begins(ya, I know. I’m also surprised you made it this far). So my middle brother comes home and sees the 3 bikes, and asks about them. “Two of them are mine and the other 1 is dads” which he bought, but he still felt the need to remind me that he’d like to have one if I find one(perfect, I’ll give it to him for Xmas). So he looks at the green one and says “that’s a pretty color, I’d like one like that” “ya but that one is already spoken for, sorry.” So he says “That yellow one is a nice bike, but it’s kinda ugly, like riding on a banana” so there goes that plan. So he continues to send me 10 speed Schwinns everywhere he sees one for sale, and finally finds one reasonable, and it’s on my way somewhere so I pick it up. Waaaaaay worse condition than it had been advertised. So whatever I’ll paint it the color of his 70 Camaro! Next time he is home he sees one of the 2 frames that I had sandblasted(both already needed paint don’t kill me) and so I told him the plan for my dads bike, and the color match. He says “ya. That will look nice in that color, but I don’t think I would want one the color of my Camaro, it’s too bright of a blue for a bike” ughhhhhh strike 2 for me. So I painted them both the color of my truck, and polished and bought tires, and made them mint perfect brand new. So I wasn’t able to get them all polished and finished for Christmas, but at least enough I could display them all and let them pic. So my middle brother chose naturally a different Campus Green tall frame Varsity, and my oldest brother chose the other one color matched to my truck. They were thrilled, and actually really excited to get one. So here is my dads bike in progress, and I’ll get some finished pics, with pictures of my brothers bikes to follow when I get them done. (handle bar tape is Stressful!)

View attachment 1760140

View attachment 1760141

View attachment 1760142

View attachment 1760143

View attachment 1760144

View attachment 1760145
Nice job Dane..Did you do the paint work? I really love the blue color on the Varsity. RideOn ....

Nice wrap job for a beginner! It's a real pain sometimes making it work out with only one 5 yard roll. When I did my Varsity I couldn't find a roll of Lime tape to save my asp so I picked up a used set of bars with lime tape and used the tape that was on those for my 64 childhood clone build.

View attachment 1761684
That’s dang good lookin! Here’s the tape I used. It looks much more brown in person.

5CC34C70-0EC4-4A14-B278-AEFB524128CC.jpeg

After my futile attempt to find some Lime bar tape, I got greedy and started buying all the Lime tape I came across along with a few other popular colors of the 60's. Nothing worse than not having what you need when you need it! Then I sold off quite a few rolls of various colors to friends when they were having a hard time locating what they needed.

Lime Bar Tape 005.JPG

Back